Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having trouble viewing ytube on my Mac 10.6.8/Safari 5.1.8

When I view ytube it stops, skips and/or the little ball just spins. This problem was never so bad as recently. I have WiFi but I can watch ytube on my iPad so I know it is not my internet. I tried turning HTMLS on and off and either way it made no difference.

Please advise!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 10:48 AM

6 replies

Apr 5, 2013 4:40 PM in response to TildeBee

Bee,

I have no extensions loaded (Safari Preferences > extensions is blank)

I do not know if I have other internet apps or pluggins... How do I check?

and I have emptied my catch.

When I emptied cookies and web site data in safari preferences it allowed me to watch one ytube successfully but failed after that. Also, I noticed a short time improvement on the speed of browsing. But I have to say that web page loading is also slow. I don't know if that is related.

Thank you for your reply, I hope you can help me some more!

Joni

Apr 5, 2013 5:02 PM in response to Joni2b

Actually I checked plug-ins (Help > installed plug-ins) and I found I have

1. iPhotoPhotocast

2. JavaAppletPlugin

3. QuickTime Plugin 7.6.6

4. Shockwave Flash 11.6 r602

5. Silverlight Plug-In 5.1.10411.0

6. Unity Player

7. WebKit built-in PDF

There are also a series of extensions listed for each of these plug-ins. So I am a little confused as to what these extension are if the Safari extensions box is blank.

Hope that info helps.

Joni

Apr 7, 2013 7:00 PM in response to TildeBee

Hi Bee,

I do not know when or why Unity Player got installed. As I do not play games on my main computer, I have deleted Unity.

I do not have Flip4Mac because my understanding is it works on Mac OS X v10.7 or above and I have v10.6. Maybe I am wrong?

I used to be able to play ytubes just fine. One thing I did do recently, which initially had no impact but maybe it did? Was to disable 'Enable Java' but keep 'Enable JavaScript' and 'Enable Plug-ins' checked (Safari > Preference > Security) I did this because I heard that there where a lot of security problems with Java, and was advised to uncheck 'Enable Java'.

I have trouble playing Wimp.com videos as well.

Thank you for you replies,

Jonica

Apr 7, 2013 7:36 PM in response to Joni2b

Jonica --

There is a version for Snow Leopard, and I used it when I was on that OS.

There's only one tip, according to their site:

Leopard and Snow Leopard users must download Flip4Mac 2.4.4. (Earlier version)

Before trying Flip4Mac, re-enable Java to test.

I have Java enabled with no problems. As long as you keep your Security Updates up-to-date, I think you're OK.

I am having trouble viewing ytube on my Mac 10.6.8/Safari 5.1.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.