Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app corrupt preferences

I use Google Talk, AIM, and iMessage. The application loses the ability to go Offline (from the menu), and the status interface disappears from the lower left window (see pic). When this occurs, I lose Google Talk and AIM. If I delete the various iChat preference files, the app behaves normally for a few minutes, but then reverts back to the buggy issue.

User uploaded file

I repaired permissions and did a disk repair with no effect.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 11:29 AM

1 reply

Apr 5, 2013 2:36 PM in response to Darin Simmer

HI,

I take it you are talking about the Menu Bar iChat icon drop down.

Yours looks different to mine.

Mine starts with the Off Line and Invisible options.

the next section is the Available Status Messages followed by the "Current iTunes Song" option and then the Away Status Messages that have been saved.

It then list my AIM Buddies that are Available from several Buddy lists (not saying which as in which)

Then it lists an option to Display Bonjour Buddies (this turns off the AIM ones)

It does not list any of my Jabber ones at all.

Pic of "Display Bonjour Buddies"

User uploaded file

I turned the Menu Bar option Off and then On again in the Preferences > General Section and it then listed the Jabber Buddies from Google and another Jabber List I have.

I have all my lists displaying separately.

I saw no change if I made them one list and then reset the Menu Bar icon drop down by Turning it Off and ON again.

I would be curious to know how you got yours to display the way your pic shows (if you know how)

User uploaded file
10:36 PM Friday; April 5, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Messages app corrupt preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.