Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iPhoto Libraries Swich between Connected Computers?

I’ve an iMac (10.5.8) and a MBA (10.6.8). Each has a iPhoto library. The one of the iMac is a big library, more than 9,000 images. The MBA has just a few hundred that I post or send on the road. The computers are connected via wifi, and the Pictures folders on each can be shared. Among the files in Pictures on each computer is its iPhoto Library, although I’ve never accessed the Libraries from the other computer.

The other day, when I opened the iPhoto Library on my iMac, up came the MBA Library. And then the MBA started having trouble because it reported that its start up disk was full. Sure enough the MBA iPhoto library was 7.29GBs. It had part or all of the iMac iPhoto Library. The libraries had switched. Seemingly on their own.

When I tried to switch to old library on iMac, I got warning that iPhoto library was locked. I had never locked any library. I unlocked it, but kept getting locked warning. Recovered iMac Library with TimeMachine. And physically deleted the MBA iPhoto library and emptied trash. Also for good measure, reduced size of MBA photo library.

So, I think everything is now OK. But what happen? And how? Losing 10 years’ images, even for just a few hours, was a scare.

Thanks in advance for help,

Armando

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 11:27 AM

6 replies

Apr 5, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Yer_Man

No I've never done that. In fact until this happened I didn't know that, for example, I could look at the iPhoto library on the iMac from the MBA. And it was both that switched. So, I would have made the same mistake on both the iMac and the MBA.

But importantly, then, if I don't ever try to open the other machine iPhoto library, the iPhotos libraries should not switch?

Can iPhoto Libraries Swich between Connected Computers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.