Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to type a special character in mail

There are special characters in mail that I would like to use.

I cannot get the info on how to type them in an e-mail.

There obviously is a keyboard stroke I need to do, but the help menu is no help.

Thanks

Greg

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 8:45 PM

There are a few ways that you can do this.

1. The simple way is, in Mail, Edit Menu > Special Characters... > and double click on the character you want to insert.

2. You could create a Service with Automator that would run an applescript that would enter text. Then you could create a keyboard shortcut to run the service. Not very user friendly but doable.

3. an app like QuicKeys can do this very easily. Startly - QuicKeys 4 for Mac OS X

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2013 8:45 PM in response to greg1424

There are a few ways that you can do this.

1. The simple way is, in Mail, Edit Menu > Special Characters... > and double click on the character you want to insert.

2. You could create a Service with Automator that would run an applescript that would enter text. Then you could create a keyboard shortcut to run the service. Not very user friendly but doable.

3. an app like QuicKeys can do this very easily. Startly - QuicKeys 4 for Mac OS X

Apr 5, 2013 8:54 PM in response to greg1424

greg1424 wrote:

There are special characters in mail that I would like to use.

You need to be more specific to get the best advice.

If you are talking about common accented letters, you can easily get these by just holding down the key for the vowel and selecting what you want from the popup menu that appears.

A number of special characters can also be made by via the option/alt key.

how to type a special character in mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.