Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 15 second page loads on 50Mbps service?

I'm at a loss - tried all of the tweaks I could think of/read about prior to a complete reset, that did not work. Finally gave up and backed everything up in iTunes and restored (not from backup - fresh install, set up as new iPad). No improvement. Safari pages start to load but take approx 15 seconds to complete. Ridiculous! I have an iPad 1 with updated OS, 50Mbps service that tests at 25-30Mbps over wireless, minimal apps installed, 26GB free space, cannot understand why the performance is so bad (was not always like this - happened after last couple/few OS upgrades). In addition to Safari, other things seem a bit buggy - keyboard and screen swipes sometimes a tad erratic.

Any suggestions on what I can do aside from ditching this thing for a non-Apple device?

BTW- even though I backed up before resetting, it looks like my non-iTunes purchases like books from B&N are gone. Can't locate photos that were backed up from iPad to MacBook Pro. Anyone have suggestions on where these might be found? Not seeing them via iTunes or Finder.

Thanks in advance,

M

iPad, MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 7:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 8:19 PM

I assume you are running iOS 5.1.1, the latest for an original iPad. It should run fine and you obviously are not suffering from a lack of free space.

There should be no reason for such poor performance. I realize your Internet speed is enviably fast, but I wonder if there is some wireless interference at work. If you are not using 5 GHz, consider it, since 2.4 GHz wireless interference is common and can explain slow Safari page loads.

I suggest you back up your iPad, then perform a complete restore as a new device. This will completely erase your iPad and reinstall iOS 5, after which you can restore your content from its backup.

If it is still running unacceptably slow, your iPad is suffering from a hardware problem since what you describe simply is not normal. Have it evaluated by Apple, who will be in a better position to compare it to how an original iPad should be running.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2013 8:19 PM in response to MP is me

I assume you are running iOS 5.1.1, the latest for an original iPad. It should run fine and you obviously are not suffering from a lack of free space.

There should be no reason for such poor performance. I realize your Internet speed is enviably fast, but I wonder if there is some wireless interference at work. If you are not using 5 GHz, consider it, since 2.4 GHz wireless interference is common and can explain slow Safari page loads.

I suggest you back up your iPad, then perform a complete restore as a new device. This will completely erase your iPad and reinstall iOS 5, after which you can restore your content from its backup.

If it is still running unacceptably slow, your iPad is suffering from a hardware problem since what you describe simply is not normal. Have it evaluated by Apple, who will be in a better position to compare it to how an original iPad should be running.

Apr 5, 2013 8:59 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks John - I had done the fresh restore earlier this evening and the problem with Safari remains. I'm thinking that with no service plan, the cost of having the iPad serviced would be too high relative to the cost of just getting something new since there are so many low cost browsing options now. I will check on router, but the curious thing there is that the iPad speed tests fine - just hangs up on safari. Appreciate the suggestion.

Safari 15 second page loads on 50Mbps service?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.