Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Aperture have a salt and pepper filter

I have scanned around 3000 photos and imported into iPhoto. On enlargement many have dozens of small white spot and tiny hair imperfections. In iPhoto these can be deleted individually by using the retouch tool. Does Aperture (or hidden in iPhoto) support a tool for automatic, mass deletion of these spots? I understand this can be called a salt and pepper filter, or perhaps de-speckle. Notes: the speckles are random so not caused by a scanner setting. The scanner plate was cleaned as well as possible and the photos were cleaned as best as possible given they were pulled from old albums. Re-scanning is not an option. i want to retain as much clarity as possible so do not want a general blur. For simplicity I want to remain using an Apple product rather than an alternate photo-editing tool. Thanks for reading. Vince

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7), iTunes, Apple TV [first gen]

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 6:13 AM

No, Aperture does not have Speckle filters. But your white spots and lines are not exactly Speckle noise. For a real Speckle noise (Salt and Pepper) you would have very dark spots as well.

In Aperture you could try to reduce the white spots and lines by applying the smoothing brush selectively to the darker areas, but that will only soften the spots, not remove them completely. Or use the "Repair" tool to remove the spots.

One filter that works well with small, bright spots is the median filter, but that is missing in Aperture. In Photoshop or similar external editors you can use the filter "Expend dark areas" (I am not sure how this filter is called in the english version - my Photoshop has german menus). This will shrink the white spots and white lines by expanding the darker regions. You need to set the radius to half of the size of the spots.

Regards

Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2013 6:13 AM in response to vinceunlimited

No, Aperture does not have Speckle filters. But your white spots and lines are not exactly Speckle noise. For a real Speckle noise (Salt and Pepper) you would have very dark spots as well.

In Aperture you could try to reduce the white spots and lines by applying the smoothing brush selectively to the darker areas, but that will only soften the spots, not remove them completely. Or use the "Repair" tool to remove the spots.

One filter that works well with small, bright spots is the median filter, but that is missing in Aperture. In Photoshop or similar external editors you can use the filter "Expend dark areas" (I am not sure how this filter is called in the english version - my Photoshop has german menus). This will shrink the white spots and white lines by expanding the darker regions. You need to set the radius to half of the size of the spots.

Regards

Léonie

Does Aperture have a salt and pepper filter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.