Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 crashes when loading on Windows 8 x64 bit

I am running iTunes 11 with the latest updates on Windows 8 64-bit (standard - no pro) on a Toshiba laptop. The program crashes when it loads. It starts - attempts to connect to the iTunes Store and then... that's it. I have turned off the wifi access to my iPhone 5 (in case it was the syncing over the wifi that cause the issue) the wifi to my laptop so iTunes couldn't access the Store. Still the same issue. I cannot load the program in any fashion. It just hangs. No error messages, no crash reports, nothing. I have tried running it in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 and Windows XP with Service Pack 3 - still the same issue. Please help me!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3, Windows 8 (64 bit) with iTunes 11

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 3:55 AM

7 replies

Apr 16, 2013 1:30 AM in response to patrickfromtas

I've a very similar issue on a HP laptop. Reinstalled itunes11. It crashes, randomly, displays a message "this program has encountered a problem and needs to close. Windows is searchin for a solultion"... and no surprises windows doens't have a solution.

I'm currently in an Apple Store seeking help... and I'm not sure Apple have a solution either!!!

Jun 23, 2013 5:03 AM in response to patrickfromtas

No, you're not the only one. I see that this has happened to a lot of Windows users, some of whom are concerned this was caused by an iTunes update. I, too, have this problem, and it's a huge bummer, because I'd rather not use my iPod at home, for battery reasons among other, equally important ones. I hope my copy of iTunes - as well as all the others affected by this bug - fix themselves as well, and soon. I'd hate to have to look for another media player, especially since I have bought several movies and TV episodes from the iTunes Store that can't be opened with any other program (that I know of).

I keep hopefully checking the Apple updater software for new updates, but with no success. I hope this issue will be resolved soon. I'd say this is a priority, though it may not be my place to do so... 😟

Jun 23, 2013 5:19 AM in response to patrickfromtas

Oh, I just opened iTunes in Safe Mode (not Windows Safe Mode, the iTunes one, just to be clear), and I'm able to use iTunes as well as I ever could! Yay. 😀 The strange thing, though, is I don't see any plugins in the iTunes plugin folders, nor do I remember ever installing any. So why Safe Mode would do the trick is beyond me, but I'm glad I tried it!

To open iTunes in Safe Mode, hold down the [Ctrl] and [Shift] keys while clicking the iTunes icon wherever you normally open iTunes from. Then click Continue in the dialogue box that appears. I found this info in the following article: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1717

I hope this helps!

Aug 11, 2013 12:44 PM in response to patrickfromtas

I'm having the same problem. Windows 8 (64) with itunes. No version will work. I open itunes and it gives me the same message as above. iTunes has stopped working, Windows is looking for a solution or something like that. Then it closes.

I'm beyond frustrated. I've searched for a solution for weeks. I tried the safe mode option above, but it did nothing for me. I'm seriously hoping someone can say something that makes this workable, otherwise I have to find a whole other way of using my phone, ipad and ipod. Ug.

iTunes 11 crashes when loading on Windows 8 x64 bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.