Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk utility reports "Device could not be opened" - error when trying to format a new drive in a Mac Pro 1,1

MacPro 1,1 Quadcore 3 GHz (2006 "Woodcrest")

32 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770

OS X 10.7.5 Lion

I have encountered the following behavior when trying to format a new drive with disk utility. This description has also been send via the Mac Pro feedback as a bug report to Apple.

On searching the web and forums with this particular error message and behaviour I could not find any usful results. So maybe the following description may be helpful for some users.

Best regards.

1. Drive Bay 1 contains the original 250 GB Startupdisk. It works without errors.

2. Drive Bays 3 and 4 contain each a WD Caviar Black 2 TB SATA 3 HDD. They work without errors.

3. I have purchased a third WD Caviar Black 2 TB HDD.

4. In Drive Bay 2 there has been a Seagate 750 GB HDD, which worked in conjunction with all the other drives without error.

5. I exchanged the Seagate HDD in Drive Bay 2 with the new WD Caviar Black 2 TB HDD.

6. On starting the system, it will report to initialize the new drive.

7. On trying to initialize the new drive with disk utility it reports the error [translated from German] "Erasing of the volume has failed. The device could not be opened."

8. I thought that the drive is faulty. Thus I created an RMA-Case at WD. They exchanged the drive without problems.

9. On getting the exchanged WD Caviar Black 2 TB drive I put it in Drive Bay 2 as before.

10. On trying to erase and format the exchange drive I got the same error message "Drive could not be opened."

10.1 On selecting the physical drive in the devices list, disk utility reports all information in the bottom area of its window as usual, e. g. hard disk description, connection bus, type and place, capacity, write status, SMART-status, partition scheme.

10.1 On leaving that drive selected in the devices list and clicking the info-button, disk utility will also report additional information as usual, e. g. Name, Type, partition scheme, media-identification, media name, media type, device tree, … , number of relocated sectors, etc.. All this information appears to be valid, as can be compared to the other devices information inside the other Drive Bays. Also the disk numbering scheme appears to be standard - 4 HDDs give the numbering disk0, disk1, disk2, disk3.

10.2 From that information I conclude that the SATA-bus and connectors electrically work properly, the drive has spun up and can be accessed by the system normally.

11. I powered down the computer, took out the HDDs from Drive Bays 3 and 4 and put the caddy with the new exchange drive in Drive Bay 4 [Maybe, I could have also just left it alone in Drive Bay 2, or 3].

12. After powering on the system, disk utility will quick format the exchange drive without any error message. Also, when erasing again by selecting the option to write zeros to the drive, disk utility will finish without error.

13. After disk utility finished formatting, I put back the original drives into Drive Bay 3 and 4 and put the now newly formatted drive back into Drive Bay 2.

14. After switching on the computer the system start and login proceeds without any error message. All drives appear as expected on the desktop.

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 3:53 AM

There are no replies.

Disk utility reports "Device could not be opened" - error when trying to format a new drive in a Mac Pro 1,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.