Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Change the order or location of pages within Chapters

I am using the iBook Author very often. Right now I'm confronted with the problem, that I want to change the sequence of Pages WITHIN Chapters.

Furthemore, and even a greater problem, when writing books, it can happen, that you have to change the sequence a bit.

Let's say you have a book with 10 Chapters and decide afterwards, to take 2 Chapters to be part of new Section (which is in new Chapter).

So the questions are:

1) how can I re-order Pages within Chapters

2) how can I re-order Pages into other Chapters

3) how can I move Pages from one Chapter into a new Section

... hope someone has the solution 😕

iBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iBooks Author 2.0 (327)

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 6:04 AM

6 replies

Apr 6, 2013 7:26 AM in response to rsvienna

>Furthemore, and even a greater problem, when writing books, it can happen, that you have to change the sequence a bit.

I'd like to caution your that such non-liner editing can be a quick way to corrupt a book, so try to resist doing that as much as possible.

So the questions are:

1) how can I re-order Pages within Chapters

2) how can I re-order Pages into other Chapters

3) how can I move Pages from one Chapter into a new Section

You can only copy/paste content from one page's content into another in those examples, either by replacing existing content, or by inserting a blank page in the new target location and then deleting the source page when done.

Apr 6, 2013 7:35 AM in response to K T

Writing books sometimes can be a process of constant changing, until the total project is ready. Thanks for the warning, I know that there is a great danger when shifting data, that's why I am looking for a safe and working solution...

I can not believe, that I'm the only user having this type of problem.

Apr 6, 2013 8:17 AM in response to rsvienna

You're not writing a book. You're building an ebook, and linear editing is quite common with digital media. If you want to storyboard, do that in Pages, as an example, and then use iBA's 'Insert' menu to bring chapters in according to final order.

You may need to let go of certain and otherwise traditional concepts for your own good if you wish to move forward with new tools such as IBA, etc.

You're not the first to ask this same question and the answer is still the same as noted above - pl.s don't ignore it. If there is any 'problem' it is for an increased need for iBA-specific skills. In which case see: Publishing With iBooks Author

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025597.do

Apr 6, 2013 8:18 AM in response to K T

Building an ebook, writing or authoring it - it all boils down to the same. I'm publishing with digital media for several years, and I am also doing this for clients. And clients - being customers - have the right to change their mind, alter and change....

I would be great to have feature in iBooks AUTHOR (NOT IBooks Builder ;-) ) to be able to be flexible. I do know of several ways of working around, but as I said I do not need advice on how to create my books, it's a straight forward technical issue - with me being aware of possible dangers.

Apr 6, 2013 8:49 AM in response to rsvienna

Not sure why you're pushing back, sorry. I'm trying to help iBA newbies like you stay out of trouble - you're new, so I'd think you'd want all the help in that regard you can get. I am also especially not interested in your resume, thanks the same 🙂

Wrestling your way thru won't make it easier, and in this case, risks an unusable/corrupted book in the end. Some people prefer to learn that on their own, I guess.

To summarize, you can't do any of what you want to do in your 1, 2 & 3 above.

Good luck with your books in any case.

Apr 7, 2013 6:38 AM in response to rsvienna

KT has given you his advice gleaned from years of experience and literally thousands of newbies benefit and save time banging away at a problem by taking his advice.

iBooks Author is a different method of creating book SPECIFICALLY for use on iPads and obtained through the Apple bookstore. Apple created the software to deal with that only. Its not a multi purpose authouring application for general use to create ePubs for the other onine oputlets. The software really could do with some updates to make it a little more user friendly to newbies..BUT this forum hands out free information to help folks.

My own suggestion is before you even think of asking a questions - spend time reading the forum posts! The fact that you signed in means you expect advice to be available...so look for it before asking.

The other obvious thing I suggest is.. if you are new to iBA... surely you dont expect to download load the applications and start into a new book expecting it to be prefect!

I suggest you play with the application and try to do things like moving pages... which is not possible...as you will find.... but there are lots of other facilities and gismo's that you should get to know before making any serious attempt at a production.

How to Change the order or location of pages within Chapters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.