Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MLS freshclam fails?

4/6/13 3:24:17.185 PM freshclam[23948]: Your ClamAV installation is OUTDATED!

4/6/13 3:24:17.185 PM freshclam[23948]: Local version: 0.97.6 Recommended version: 0.97.7

OK, not a big deal probably.

4/6/13 4:59:49.352 PM freshclam[140]: Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net

4/6/13 4:59:49.352 PM freshclam[140]: Invalid DNS reply. Falling back to HTTP mode.

4/6/13 4:59:50.587 PM freshclam[140]: Can't get information about database.clamav.net: nodename nor servname provided, or not known

4/6/13 4:59:50.588 PM freshclam[140]: Can't read main.cvd header from database.clamav.net (IP: )

So, it has trouble finding the location for updates. It goes on trying an IP address later:

4/6/13 7:00:07.932 PM freshclam[140]: getfile: daily-16968.cdiff not found on remote server (IP: 217.19.16.188)

4/6/13 7:00:07.932 PM freshclam[140]: getpatch: Can't download daily-16968.cdiff from database.clamav.net

What does this mean? Problem on my side?

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 10:07 AM

5 replies

Apr 6, 2013 1:02 PM in response to Gerben Wierda

Looks to have been some sort of network issue with reaching your DNS around 4:59, but I'm guessing that cleared up by 7:00.

It's possible that the daily-16968.cdiff file had not yet been uploaded to the mirror sites you were using. I just successfully updated mine, so give it another try.

It's also possible that you are experiencing internet access issues right now.

Apple may or may not get around to updating the ClamAV scan engine any time soon. It's possible to update it manually if you feel a need to by following these instructions: Updating ClamAV on OS X Server >= 10.5.5.

Message was edited by: MadMacs0 who missed the point that you are using MLS.

Apr 6, 2013 4:31 PM in response to Gerben Wierda

In terms of the error "Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net"

have a look at /etc/freshclam.conf

# Uncomment the following line and replace XY with your country

# code. See http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm for the full list.

DatabaseMirror db.us.clamav.net

In my case, I set it up with db.us.clamav.net
but of course edit that appropriately to match your country if not the US.
In your case, it think it would be db.nl.clamav.net - yes ?

Apr 6, 2013 6:07 PM in response to davidh

davidh wrote:

In terms of the error "Can't query current.cvd.clamav.net"

have a look at /etc/freshclam.conf

# Uncomment the following line and replace XY with your country

# code. See http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm for the full list.

That won't help with that issue at all as the query is done using by checking whatever DNS the OP is using.

It may help with the last issue, but I've found that it makes no difference at all in my case. Depends mostly on ones geographic location, which freshclam usually does a good job of determining for itself. It is only required to change this if you need to update more than once an hour.

A good reference for freshclam issues is FAQ - CVD.

Apr 6, 2013 8:33 PM in response to MadMacs0

Well, I offered it precisely because in the past, I'd seen problems updating and there was nothing wrong with DNS in my case. No shortage of various (DNS) lookups working correctly.
Specificying a country code as noted made the error go away.

Not the current version at the/that time, however (some 1-2 years ago).

Apr 6, 2013 11:33 PM in response to davidh

davidh wrote:

Well, I offered it precisely because in the past, I'd seen problems updating

Sorry, I didn't mean to indicate that it could not help with mirror problems. You are the first US user who has indicated that it did, but I've run into several in other parts of the World, especially Europe where countries are very close together. I've been told by the mirror network admin that some block IP's from other countries, even though they have been instructed not to do so.

But the initial check for current.cvd.clamav.net takes place only to your DNS. Temporary problems with this occur because every time ClamAV publishes a database update it must send out a correction to the DNS system containing details of the most current versions of everything. You can see that by triple clicking, copying and pasting the following line in a Terminal app window after the "$ " prompt:

host -t txt current.cvd.clamav.net

It takes awhile for the DNS system to proliferate these changes throughout the world and it takes ClamAV a few minutes to get the change posted to all of it's ~140 mirror sites, so it is easy for the two systems to be out-of-sync for a short period until both the DNS and mirror networks are fully updated.

MLS freshclam fails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.