Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Right Earpod not working correctly

I got an iPod 5th gen for Christmas. The Earpods have been working fine until recently. The right earpod's volume is really quiet, and I don't know how to clean the mesh out. It does the same thing on my computer, too.

Earpods-OTHER

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 1:00 PM

18 replies

Feb 28, 2017 2:33 PM in response to jsmoco

I found that this happens due to dirt and what not getting stuck in the main mesh of the EarPods. I understand that this fix voids warranty, so use it if no other techniques work for you. Use a sharp ended object (pin, needle, small nail etc.) to puncture the mesh and completely remove it and open up the holes. Take care when puncturing the mesh so you do not damage the internals.

Hope this helps.

Oct 14, 2013 4:32 AM in response to Mitch 751

Hello Mitch,

Thank you for the helpful advice. I am on my second paid of EarPods (1st set lasted 3-4 months before losing volume in right ear) which have now lost sound in the right ear after 2 months use.

Background: I use a 32 GB iPhone 4s, good condition, updated iOS 7.0.2

The original iPod/iPhone earbuds used to last MUCH longer. I ran with them and they endured a lot of sweat/rain/generally bad conditions, and would work for a year+.

I can't imagine I am the only person this happens to, as 3000+ people have viewed this thread. I'm glad Apple will replace them and I actually bought a Geek Squad warranty on the 2nd pair of EarPods so I can return them no problem but here is my question:

Is the general consensus that the new EarPods simply do not work? Is it my phone? Everything else on my 4s works just fine and I went out of my way to take extra special care of my second pair of EarPods and they broke faster than the first! I am a big fan of Apple and their original headphones used to be bulletproof/water proof, and it breaks my heart that these new EarPods fail on me all of the time.

If anyone can chime in and explain if this is user error, if my "outdated" iphone 4s is to blame, or if these new EarPods are just plain terrible at working past 2 months. Thank you!

Oct 14, 2013 4:44 AM in response to tjw5083

I and my family owe more than 6 pairs of Earpods, all of them are running fine from day one.

What I can say is, it is probably bad luck.

It is not only a problem of Apple Earpods, but almost every brand of earphones are having this problem.

I have four Westone 3 and two of them have the same issues, bear in mind they cost ten times more than earpods.

We use the earphones almost daily, sometime a small pull of wire can easily caused this kind of problem

Jan 5, 2014 5:11 PM in response to jsmoco

Yeah the same thing happened to me, I bought my first EarPods and within 2 weeks the volume in the main speaker of the right pod went extremely low but the smaller speaker on the side of the same pod worked fine, exact same thing happened when I bought the second pair. A friend of mine also has the same problem along with apparently a lot of others, I have no way of claiming a replacement pair as there are no proper apple stores anywhere near me, anyone know of any ways to repair them myself? Could it be a problem with loose wiring or is it the speaker is faulty?

Thanks for any assistance.

Jan 8, 2014 12:02 PM in response to mrseanjc

This is exactly what happened to my EarPods yesterday. I did a lot of research on the Internet but nothing really helped. I also thought of cutting and open them to see if there is anything broken and if I can fix it. But before doing that I took a needle and started to slowly try clean up the bigger speaker. You won't believe the mess that got out!!! I normaly clean them once in a while, but this time I was very persistent. Apparently the material on the top of the speaker can store a lot of earwax, dust and other kind of mess.And with absolutely no hope I put them in my ears, and they were working!!!!!!!! All you have to do is to scratch the outerpart of the speaker with the head of the needle and they should be just fine. I still can not believe how the dirt could block out the sound so badly!!! Hopefully this helps.

Feb 6, 2014 4:26 PM in response to jsmoco

I bought a pair of Earpods to use with my iPhone 4 about 9 months ago. After ~4 months of use the right side volume went extremely soft, intermittently coming back up to full volume but at times being fully silent. I took them back to the store and they exchanged them on the spot, but now after another 5 months using this pair the same exact thing is happening!

2 pairs in less than a year with the exact same issue seems like too much a coincidence for bad luck.

May 20, 2014 12:49 PM in response to jsmoco

I found a good reason for this. Often times people will listen to music in one ear and it is usualy the right ear because thats where the thingy is to change the song and volume. When you do this, music makes you produce more earwax and therefor you create a bunch in your right ear and it gets stuck in your earphone peace and makes it a lot quieter. all it needs is a good cleaning. This just happened to mine and i researched i then i took a paper clip to my earphone speaker and scraped it alllll off and now it works great!!!!! good luck to ya:p

Right Earpod not working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.