Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error code -50

I've recently created a music video on imovie '09. The problem is, I can't share or export the movie. Every time I try to, it says "Unable to prepare project for publishing.The project could not be prepared for publishing because an error occurred. (-50)" What does this mean, and how can I publish my music video? I make movies with imovie all the time, and this is the first time I've seen this error. I even tried publishing some other movies, and they all worked- it was only this one that won't publish. Please help!!

iMovie '08

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 12:33 AM

You may have a corrupt clip in the project. Try duplicating the project. Delete one half of the duplicate then try exporting the remaining half. If that works, the problem will be in the other half. Continue creating duplicates and deleting sections until you narrow down the problem.

To create a duplicate, in Project Library view click on the name of your project then from the menu select File > Duplicate project. Duplicating won't take up much extra space, as the project references (links to) the video clips in the associated Event (or Events).

John

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2013 12:33 AM in response to rinnyrox

You may have a corrupt clip in the project. Try duplicating the project. Delete one half of the duplicate then try exporting the remaining half. If that works, the problem will be in the other half. Continue creating duplicates and deleting sections until you narrow down the problem.

To create a duplicate, in Project Library view click on the name of your project then from the menu select File > Duplicate project. Duplicating won't take up much extra space, as the project references (links to) the video clips in the associated Event (or Events).

John

Apr 28, 2015 4:34 AM in response to John Cogdell

This was perfect, thanks so much. I spent some time trawling the webs and found some very odd advice about error -50 - suggesting I uninstall iMovie etc - but I suspected it was one of the new clips that I had added to a project I had previously shared to media browser successfully. Your method was quick, simple and effective, I found and deleted the problem clip, now it's publishing away happily. Thanks John!

error code -50

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.