Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Voice Memo's from iPhone to computer

I have a bunch of voice memos that I need to move from my phone to my computer. I was able to playback the voice memos from my iphone within iTunes. It shows up as a playlist called Voice memos under my iphone. From there, there is no way to export the audio files to my actual computer. I can export the data as a text file but thats about it. The files are too long to email. Any suggestions? I am running on a mac with mountain lion.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 2:45 PM

Voice memos are synced to the Voice Memos playlist. iTunes creates the playlist if it doesn’t exist. When you sync voice memos to iTunes, they remain in the Voice Memos application until you delete them. If you delete a voice memo on iPhone, it isn’t deleted from the Voice Memos playlist in iTunes. However, if you delete a voice memo from iTunes, it is deleted from iPhone the next time you sync with iTunes.

Your phone connected, iTunes running, under the Music tab, check "Include Voice Memos" and then hit "Apply". Your synced voice memos will appear in a Voice Memos playlist, which iTunes creates if it doesn't already exist.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2013 2:45 PM in response to Jordan93y

Voice memos are synced to the Voice Memos playlist. iTunes creates the playlist if it doesn’t exist. When you sync voice memos to iTunes, they remain in the Voice Memos application until you delete them. If you delete a voice memo on iPhone, it isn’t deleted from the Voice Memos playlist in iTunes. However, if you delete a voice memo from iTunes, it is deleted from iPhone the next time you sync with iTunes.

Your phone connected, iTunes running, under the Music tab, check "Include Voice Memos" and then hit "Apply". Your synced voice memos will appear in a Voice Memos playlist, which iTunes creates if it doesn't already exist.

Apr 6, 2013 10:50 PM in response to wjosten

Yes I have done all of the above. Under my device, it created a playlist named voice memos, I can playback audio from the playlist. However, when I disconnect the device, that playlist within itunes disappears because it's a playlist that was created under the device. I need to get those audio files permanently onto my computer. I'm trying to edit them and potentially import them to garage band

Aug 28, 2013 12:21 AM in response to Jordan93y

Hi,

I have the same problem: my iPhone 4S does not copy voice memos to iTunes even though I:

- checked the "Include Voice Memos"

- updated OS to 11.0.5.5

- replaced cable as it was suggested in other emails

- I can drag files from iTunes to iPhone

I'm at a loss of what else to do ... I had a great regard for Apple's user experience, but this is starting to change my mind...

Thanks,

Aug 28, 2013 5:23 PM in response to Roy295

Did you check your PLAYLISTS to see if "Volice Memos" appears as a playlist?

When your phone is hooked to iTunes, take a close look at the contents of the phone and see where voice memos appear. On mine, they are their own playlist called "Voice Memos" and when iTunes copies them from the iPhone, it adds them to an iTunes playlist called "Voice Memos"

Hope this helps.

Aug 31, 2013 5:26 PM in response to DrJeff_92677

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I have >50 voice memos recorded over a period of a year or so, and I'm able to listen to them on my phone.

Thanks

P.S. For any Apple moderator reading these messages: If I were Apple, I would be embarrassed to have such a basic feature (sync with iTunes) not work reliably - at least for some people and for so long...

Sep 1, 2013 1:30 PM in response to Jordan93y

I am having the same problem. I synced my iPhone on July 19, and my new voice memos copied perfectly. Today (September 1), I went to sync and none of the 28 memos recorded since the last sync copied over. In fact, the iPhone Voice Memo playlist shows that they don't even exist on my phone, but they obviously do, since I can open the Voice Memo app and play them. I even emailed those 28 memos to myself so I wouldn't lose them. I've tried closing the program, unplugging my phone, consolidating my library, unchecking and rechecking the "include voice memos" box, re-syncing......and nothing's working. I then recorded a short 15-second memo and re-synced. Voila, it copied over fine, but those previous 28 still didn't. Why the gap?

Feb 20, 2014 7:52 PM in response to imqboy

Same problem here as well.

It really seems hit-and-miss when syncing most of my files especially voice memos.

It seems that that first time I synced my iPhone the voice memos transferred fine, but after a few days later and many more voice memos iTunes doesn’t recognize that there are new files to be synced. After many repeated attempts I got it to sync 2/3 of the memos, but still not complete. I really wish apple would build in a way to manually transfer the files as backup or I am just going to have to switch to using 3rd party software full time. And I still have 3 important files I am trying to get off my iPhone.

Jul 12, 2014 3:08 AM in response to yokoref

Yes, me too! I see in my iPhone 5s more then 45 voice memos, but within iTunes I can only see the first 25. When I sync the device I only get thus 25 but all the rest never reach the computer.

I lost a lot of voice memos from my iPhone 4s some months ago. I though I did make a mistake but I'm sure now that I didn't. That memos were much more than 50. I synced the iPhone and then I formatted it. I and I never saw them again.

Moving Voice Memo's from iPhone to computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.