Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing memory: which slots?

If I am installing memory into my late-2012 27" iMac, does it matter into which of the four memory slots I install the two memory modules I am installing?

Thanks

DanK

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 2:39 PM

You should have slot 1 and 3 (from the top) filled with the OEM RAM - add yours to slots 2 & 4 (best if they are a matching kit). This will result in this picture in your system information:

User uploaded file

That means each "pair" is matched and will give you the best performance.

(You did order RAM from a reputable vendor?)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2013 2:39 PM in response to DanK

You should have slot 1 and 3 (from the top) filled with the OEM RAM - add yours to slots 2 & 4 (best if they are a matching kit). This will result in this picture in your system information:

User uploaded file

That means each "pair" is matched and will give you the best performance.

(You did order RAM from a reputable vendor?)

Apr 6, 2013 2:57 PM in response to DanK

I removed the two 4GB modules that came with the computer, but didn't pay attention where they were (oops!). I am installing two new 8GB modules. Sounds like I should have them in 1 and 3, right?

I was told (Apple store) that I shouldn't leave in the original modules, that i shouldn't mix modules. Is that correct?

Apr 6, 2013 4:04 PM in response to DanK

I was told (Apple store) that I shouldn't leave in the original modules, that i shouldn't mix modules. Is that correct?

There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't leave the OEM RAM in. The Apple store person appears to need a bit more training; the screenshot I posted is from my iMac which has run perfectly for two years with OEM RAM (2 GB each) along with my added third party OWC RAM (4 GB each).

Installing memory: which slots?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.