Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto thumbnails distorted after every import

I've been using iPhoto 11 for a while now, but only recently encountered this problem. After importing photos to my iPhoto library, the thumbnails from that import are distorted and incorrect. They are showing a squashed image of a different picture than what the thumbnail is supposed to represent. When I click on the thumbnail to see the full picture, I get a different image.

After searching the forums here, I found that I could rebuild the thumbnails in the iPhoto library. So I did that, and it corrected the issue with the last import. However, when I imported the next batch of pictures, the same problem occurred. I rebuilt the thumbnails again, it corrected the most recent import -- but when i imported the next set of pictures, the thumbnails were messed up again.

While I could theoretically rebuild my thumbnails after every import, it's time consuming and annoying... 🙂 More importantly, it seems like there is a bigger problem that needs to be addressed.

Really appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks!

P.S. I am running OSX 10.7.5 on an iMac

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 3:14 PM

What camera are you downloading from? Also try this: launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists.

OT

4 replies

Apr 6, 2013 8:12 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your fast response.

I am importing pictures from an external harddrive, not directly from a camera. (Menu, File -> Import to Library)

I tried what you suggested about importing to a new test library, and the thumbnails that it created were just fine. When I tried importing the same pictures to my main iPhoto library, the thumbnails got distorted again. So i think something is up with my iPhoto library.

I also noticed something intereting when I switch between iPhoto libraries. iPhoto is showing me two options for my main iPhoto Library... as in the same library is showing up twice in the list of available libraries to open or switch to. I noticed the path at the bottom of the window indicated where th libraries are stored -- thought perhaps they were two different libraries with the same name (e.g. one stored on a backup drive and one in my main pictures folder), but that's not the case. They are both the same exact file stored in my Pictures folder on my machine. I don't know if this has anything to do with my thumbnail problem, but it seems strange that iPhoto is detecting the same lbrary twice.

I have not tried repairing the database or rebuilding the database yet. Wondering if either of those would be a good idea?

Apr 7, 2013 12:13 AM in response to Daniel F G

Rebuilding would be the next step.

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

Apr 7, 2013 6:40 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks so much for your help!

I started with Repairing the dtabase, unfortunately, that didn't seem to work. However, I rebuilt the database -- and that appears to have worked. I have successfully imported two large batches of photos post rebuild, and the thumbnails are appearing correctly. So, I have my fingers crossed that this solved our problems!

I did notice that the rebuid did, however, mess up some of our albums. The pictures are out of order inside the albums. So, word of caution before others take this approach.

Terrence, do you have any ideas as to what would have caused this problem for us in the first place? I'd love to know, so I could avoid it in the future.

Thanks again.

iPhoto thumbnails distorted after every import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.