Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Codec: MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM doesn't function in iMac 10.8.3

I have recently purchased an iMac OSX version 10.8.3 which has Quicktime v10.2. Today while working to edit some old digitized footage I opened up some files that were shot on a Sony FX1 shot in HDV 1080i60 and digitized through FCP (Final Cut Pro) which made them into MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode files files. On my older MacBook Pro 10.5.8 I can open them with Quicktime 7.6.9 and play the files without a problem (it also has FCP with Qmaster, etc). In my research I found I can open and view the files on my iMac, if I open them with VCL. Also note I can open them on the QT player in the iMac and hear the audio just no video.

Now I did read some responses that include converting the footage to H.264 or some other format, however I am dealing with over 500gb of footage so that's not really a viable issue. My assumption is that I am going to need to purchase some upgrade to QT to get this stuff to play or hopefully download a compatible software that will make this all go away with little trouble...

Does anyone know of the software that could solve this problem? Any personal experience out there for solving this?

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Quicktime player for iMac

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 4:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 6:22 PM

I have recently purchased an iMac OSX version 10.8.3 which has Quicktime v10.2. Today while working to edit some old digitized footage I opened up some files that were shot on a Sony FX1 shot in HDV 1080i60 and digitized through FCP (Final Cut Pro) which made them into MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode files files.

Are the files your are referring to paired M2V and AIFF elementary stream files output by FCP for DVD Studio Pro burning or M2V/AIFF MOV reference or standalone files? (Assume you are not referring to DV-100 content in a long GOP wrapper which might be identified as MPEG-2 content or actual "muxed" MPEG-2 content here.)

Now I did read some responses that include converting the footage to H.264 or some other format, however I am dealing with over 500gb of footage so that's not really a viable issue. My assumption is that I am going to need to purchase some upgrade to QT to get this stuff to play or hopefully download a compatible software that will make this all go away with little trouble...

That may depend on what assests you have installed on your iMac. Long GOP DV-100 would probably require FCP codecs be installed on your system. M2V video in paired elementary streams (i.e., an M2V file paired with a separate AIFF resource) will probably require the the QT MPEG-2 Playback codec be installed along with either QT 7 Pro v7.6.6 or MPEG Streamclip since (as far as I know) QT X still doesn't honor the playback of these paired files (but will play them simultaneously in separate players which may or may not remain in sync during such playback) and still doesn't seem to like MPEG-2 video in either MOV or VOB file containers which both QT 7 v7.6.6 and MPEG Streamclip can usually handle/edit.

Does anyone know of the software that could solve this problem? Any personal experience out there for solving this?

What kind of editing actions are you trying to accomplish? And did your reference to QT X v10.2 mean you are trying to do the editing in the QT X player app?

User uploaded file

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2013 6:22 PM in response to Walton_Editor

I have recently purchased an iMac OSX version 10.8.3 which has Quicktime v10.2. Today while working to edit some old digitized footage I opened up some files that were shot on a Sony FX1 shot in HDV 1080i60 and digitized through FCP (Final Cut Pro) which made them into MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode files files.

Are the files your are referring to paired M2V and AIFF elementary stream files output by FCP for DVD Studio Pro burning or M2V/AIFF MOV reference or standalone files? (Assume you are not referring to DV-100 content in a long GOP wrapper which might be identified as MPEG-2 content or actual "muxed" MPEG-2 content here.)

That may depend on what assests you have installed on your iMac. Long GOP DV-100 would probably require FCP codecs be installed on your system. M2V video in paired elementary streams (i.e., an M2V file paired with a separate AIFF resource) will probably require the the QT MPEG-2 Playback codec be installed along with either QT 7 Pro v7.6.6 or MPEG Streamclip since (as far as I know) QT X still doesn't honor the playback of these paired files (but will play them simultaneously in separate players which may or may not remain in sync during such playback) and still doesn't seem to like MPEG-2 video in either MOV or VOB file containers which both QT 7 v7.6.6 and MPEG Streamclip can usually handle/edit.

What kind of editing actions are you trying to accomplish? And did your reference to QT X v10.2 mean you are trying to do the editing in the QT X player app?

User uploaded file

Apr 6, 2013 6:49 PM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for getting back.

• First question: The files are M2V/AIFF MOV reference and/or standalone files.
  • This is over my head a little, but I think the answer is no (Assume you are not referring to DV-100 content in a long GOP wrapper which might be identified as MPEG-2 content or actual "muxed" MPEG-2 content here).

How can I uncover all this information about my files so that I can better respond to this information on DV-100?

• I should add to my original notes that I pulled the QT v7.6.9 from my MacBook Pro over to my iMac and opened some of the files I am referring to exclusively in this version of QT, which did not solve the problem...so I think that may help problem solve this a little more (M2V video in paired elementary streams (i.e., an M2V file paired with a separate AIFF resource)
  • will probably require the the QT MPEG-2 Playback codec be installed along with either QT 7 Pro v7.6.6 or MPEG Streamclip.
    • Do my notes above about testing my QT 7.6.9 eliminate the need to install QT7 Pro or is this an alternate version?
    • How do I install the FCP Codecs into this system? Buy FCPX? Is there a cheaper way?
    • I have MPEG Stream Clip 1.9.2 and it doesn't play in the player...are you suggesting that installing this on my system will create a universal form of playback?
  • but will play them simultaneously in separate players which may or may not remain in sync during such playback...What kind of editing actions are you trying to accomplish? And did your reference to QT X v10.2 mean you are trying to do the editing in the QT X player app?

I should have mentioned that my biggest interest in importing/playing-back/editing this footage in Adobe Premiere since FCP is now obsolete. However Premiere won't import and play, and I assume it is because of the compatibility of QTX...thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your time and assistance!!

Apr 6, 2013 7:56 PM in response to Walton_Editor

First question: The files are M2V/AIFF MOV reference and/or standalone files.

QT MPEG-2 Playback component which should be compatible with these files only supports "classic" QT apps like QT 7/QT 7 Pro, GarageBand, MPEG Streamclip, etc. QT X MPEG-2 codec only supports the QT X player and is primarily aimed at "muxed" MPEG-2 content in MPG, MPEG, or TS file containers but does now support AC3 audio natively whereas QT 7 still needs third-party AC3 codec support or use of MPEG Streamclip. So the question now becomes, "Do you have the QT MPEG-2 Playback component installed on your new iMac? Another question would be "What codecs are used in the original files resourced by your "reference" files. (I'm assuming the original files were stored along with the reference files (i.e., not orphaned) but if they aren't, then that would be another reason reference files wouldn't open.)

This is over my head a little, but I think the answer is no (Assume you are not referring to DV-100 content in a long GOP wrapper which might be identified as MPEG-2 content or actual "muxed" MPEG-2 content here).

Based on the answer given above, this is not something you would have to worry about. (I.e., some applicastions will identify HDV content as MPEG-2 data based on the wrapper and not the comressed data actually contained. MPEG-4/AVC data can also have similar problems.)

I should add to my original notes that I pulled the QT v7.6.9 from my MacBook Pro over to my iMac and opened some of the files I am referring to exclusively in this version of QT, which did not solve the problem...so I think that may help problem solve this a little more (M2V video in paired elementary streams (i.e., an M2V file paired with a separate AIFF resource)

I assume you mean you copied the QT 7 v7.6.9 player app for Leopard to your Mountain Lion system. Bad idea! Only one special version of the QT 7 player app (v7.6.6) is currently compatible with the QT structure embedded in the latest versions of Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion. ((See Article HT3678))

will probably require the the QT MPEG-2 Playback codec be installed along with either QT 7 Pro v7.6.6 or MPEG Streamclip.

• Do my notes above about testing my QT 7.6.9 eliminate the need to install QT7 Pro or is this an alternate version?
  • How do I install the FCP Codecs into this system? Buy FCPX? Is there a cheaper way?
  • I have MPEG Stream Clip 1.9.2 and it doesn't play in the player...are you suggesting that installing this on my system will create a universal form of playback?

a) As stated above, QT 7 v7.6.9 player for Leopard is not compatible with the dual 32-/64-bit QT structured embedding in Snow Leopard, Lion, and Mountain Lion Mac OS X operating sustems. Install the special version linked to the article cited above.

b) The normal method of installing the FCP "pro" codecs is to simply install the FCP Suite. Otherwize, you would have to maually copy them to your Mountain Lion system or extract and install them manually from the installer package.

c) Like QT 7 v7.6.6, MPEG Streamclip v1.9.2 also requires the Apple QT MPEG-2 Playback component be purchased and installed. Do you currently have it installed on your iMac v10.8.3 system? If not, you should be getting a message from MPEG Streamclip telling you to install it when/if you try to load/play files containing MPEG-2 compressed data. Further, if not installed and you decide to purchase and install it, you will want to check the MPEG Streamclip "Beta" download package since the MPEG-2 installer package requires a "helper" utility to install this component on Lion or Mountain Lion systems.

but will play them simultaneously in separate players which may or may not remain in sync during such playback...What kind of editing actions are you trying to accomplish? And did your reference to QT X v10.2 mean you are trying to do the editing in the QT X player app?

• I should have mentioned that my biggest interest in importing/playing-back/editing this footage in Adobe Premiere since FCP is now obsolete. However Premiere won't import and play, and I assume it is because of the compatibility of QTX...thoughts on this?

Can't help you here as I am not an Adobe Premier user. (I still use the 32-bit version of the FCP Suite v6.0.6 under Mac OS X v10.8.3 on my iMac.)

User uploaded file

Apr 7, 2013 5:38 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks again for you help! Let me go through this and see if we get closer to a resolution:

Do you have the QT MPEG-2 Playback component installed on your new iMac? ...requires the Apple QT MPEG-2 Playback component be purchased and installed...Do you currently have it installed on your iMac v10.8.3 system?

• I think the answer to this in no-not that I know of, unless it was installed as part of the stock purchase. However I am NOT getting a message from MPEG StreamClip to install it or anything for that matter. Instead when I drag and drop the file into MPEG StreamClip I get a white screen from which I can play audio, but no video.

((See Article HT3678))...

• I reviewed the article and downloaded QT7 on this version of iMac, which I gather that it was not there before. However the footage problem is not resolved. I did read where the article suggests I purchase QT7 Pro...is this the next step in the trouble shooting? Do I need to purchase this? It this what you are referring to as the component that need be purchased or is there another? And if no, do you know where can I find the Apple playback component?

(This is simular to my questions above) ...if not installed (for and you decide to purchase and install it, you will want to check the MPEG Streamclip "Beta" download package since the MPEG-2 installer package requires a "helper" utility to install this component on Lion or Mountain Lion systems.

• I do want to purchase and install...can I find this within this Apple site or are there other Apple supported sites I can find it?

What codecs are used in the original files resourced by your "reference" files. (I'm assuming the original files were stored along with the reference files (i.e., not orphaned) but if they aren't, then that would be another reason reference files wouldn't open.)

• I am not sure I understand how to answer this completely, however I trancoded/imported these files from tape through the capture feature in FCP5 and the files have been living and transfered from drive to drive over a series of 8 or so years. They have never NOT played on my MacBook Pro which was not actually the computer they were created from, but since they functioned here I didn't think twice about. However I don't think this is answering your question. It may be best to ask how do I learn about if they are orphaned or not, so I can properly answer?

SOME WHAT OFF TOPIC BUT...: The normal method of installing the FCP "pro" codecs is to simply install the FCP Suite. Otherwize, you would have to maually copy them to your Mountain Lion system or extract and install them manually from the installer package....Can't help you here as I am not an Adobe Premier user. (I still use the 32-bit version of the FCP Suite v6.0.6 under Mac OS X v10.8.3 on my iMac.

• THIS IS GREAT NEWS! This is an issue of great interest to me. I copied FCP6 from my MacBook Pro to my iMac, but the files did not function. I also attempted to install them from disk, but I received a message that the software is not supported. I was under the impression FCP 6 was not compatible with this iMac and Mountain Lion, then I had heard from a friend that they corrected that but I haven't seen any change on my system and I have update my software to current at this point. Do you have thoughts on this and/or how I can get my FCP 6 to function on my iMac? I would love to be able to make use of it.

Thanks so much!

Apr 7, 2013 8:01 AM in response to Walton_Editor

I think the answer to this in no-not that I know of, unless it was installed as part of the stock purchase. However I am NOT getting a message from MPEG StreamClip to install it or anything for that matter. Instead when I drag and drop the file into MPEG StreamClip I get a white screen from which I can play audio, but no video.

The QT MPEG-2 Playback component is sold by Apple so I assume you would know if you had purchased and installed it. The lack of a message from the MPEG Streamclip app would tend to indicate that either the file you are trying to open does not contain MPEG-2 compressed data or that the data is not being read/loaded to the application. Since you indicate the file opens in apps like VLC, the QT Player, and MPEG Streamclip, can you post a copy of the "Media Information", "Inspector", and "Show Stream Info" windows. (Am assuming here that the MPEG-2/PCM data is not "muxed" within the MOV container which is a separate problem.)

I reviewed the article and downloaded QT7 on this version of iMac, which I gather that it was not there before. However the footage problem is not resolved. I did read where the article suggests I purchase QT7 Pro...is this the next step in the trouble shooting? Do I need to purchase this? It this what you are referring to as the component that need be purchased or is there another? And if no, do you know where can I find the Apple playback component?

a) If you upgrade an older operating system to Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion and had QT 7 Pro installed on the older system, then the system installer should normally install a 32-/64-bit compatible version of QT 7 and apply the "pro" key automatically. Systems purchased with Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion pre-installed do not have a QT 7 player installed.

b) It would be expected that QT 7 v7.6.6 would not play the file if MPEG Streamclip (which you previously tried) could not play the file. Both apps access the same embedded QT structure within the operating system and employ the same codec component configuration installed on your system.

c) It would be a waste of time and money to purchase a QT 7 "Pro" key if you cannot play the file using the standard player since the "Pro" key only adds editing features and not new playback components. Once playback is working you can consider your need for the "pro" features.

d) See http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A/quicktime-mpeg-2-playback-component-f or-mac-os-x?fnode=62 You will note that this component is not required for/not used by QT X based apps but is still required for QT "classic" based apps such as QT 7/QT 7 Pro, GarageBand, MPEG Streamclip, etc. once you get it installed—which is another problem.

I do want to purchase and install...can I find this within this Apple site or are there other Apple supported sites I can find it?

See Apple Store link above. However, my personal recommendation at this point would be to hold off on this purchase until it is determined just what your current playback problem is. For instance, can you post a sample problem file for download in order to examine/test on my system?

I am not sure I understand how to answer this completely, however I trancoded/imported these files from tape through the capture feature in FCP5 and the files have been living and transfered from drive to drive over a series of 8 or so years. They have never NOT played on my MacBook Pro which was not actually the computer they were created from, but since they functioned here I didn't think twice about. However I don't think this is answering your question. It may be best to ask how do I learn about if they are orphaned or not, so I can properly answer?

Basically, a media file consists of a container in which data is placed. In some cases only certain foms of compressed data can be contained in a specific container type. In other cases, multiple or any form of compressed data can be contained. For instance, an MOV file container may hold any form of compressed data that was compatible with the codec component configuration for the system on which the file was created. Unfortunately, this does not mean the file will be compatible with other systems. Since you indicate the files were imported or captured by FCP5, their compression format would depend on both the tape device and/or "Easy Setup" software option used to store the original digitized data which thereafter may or may not have been re-rendered to another compression format during or after your project was completed as part of the "output" process. Since there seems to be some question as to the actual compression format of the data you are trying to access, the first thing you need to do is reconfirm this information. Here are the usual medods of doing this:

a) If files do not open in any media player, use the Finder "Info" window to see what it can tell you about the file. This information may be minimal.

b) If the file opens in a media player app, then use that app's "Media Info", "Inspector", "Stream", "Properties" or similar window to see what it can tell you.

c) You can also use a dedicated utility app like MidiaInfo (free) to examine the file characteristics. These apps usually provide the most information.

(NOTE: In the case of most of these apps, it is usually best to simply screen capture the information window and post it to the forum since most users fail to provide suplementary details about the file which may or may not become significant later.)

d) "Orphaned" files usually refer to "reference" files. Reference files do not contain all of the data needed for playback. Instead, they contain a resource pointer to another file that actually contains the needed playback data, as well as, playing instructions telling how the resource data is to be played. When a reference file is moved to a different drive, the resource data must also be moved. It it isn't, then the data will become "orphaned" when the reference file tries to locate and play it. Reference files are usually very small and are handy for the passing of data from one application to another—such as when sending data from FCP to DVDSP for burning or from iMovie to iDVD. If your files play in VLC then either they are unorphaned reference files or they are standalone files. So, once again if the files play in VLC but not in QT, then we need to look at the specific compression formats involved to determine just what the problem is.

THIS IS GREAT NEWS! This is an issue of great interest to me. I copied FCP6 from my MacBook Pro to my iMac, but the files did not function. I also attempted to install them from disk, but I received a message that the software is not supported. I was under the impression FCP 6 was not compatible with this iMac and Mountain Lion, then I had heard from a friend that they corrected that but I haven't seen any change on my system and I have update my software to current at this point. Do you have thoughts on this and/or how I can get my FCP 6 to function on my iMac? I would love to be able to make use of it.

In my case, I migrated the everything (including the FCP Suite installation) from my Leopard system to my new iMac while it was operating under Snow Leopard and updated the iMac to Lion and later to Mountain Lion. Based on what you say, it appears the FCP installer, like the QT MPEG-2 Playback Component installer package, is not compatible with Lion or Mountain Lion. This does not mean the apps are not compatible with these systems but it does likely mean you would have to use a third-party app like Pacifist to install the FCP software package. (Pacifist can also be used to install the QT MPEG-2 Playback component instead of the "helper" intaller utility provided in the MPEG Streamclip download mentioned above.) Have not really tested this method of installing FCP on Mac OS X v10.8.3, but it does seem logical that it would work since I can still use FCP still operated under Mountain Lion.

User uploaded file

Apr 7, 2013 3:22 PM in response to Jon Walker

Ok were getting closer 🙂

Can you post a copy of the "Media Information", "Inspector", and "Show Stream Info" windows.

• See screen shots of Media Information from VLC, Inspector from QT, and SteamInfo from MPEG StreamClip:
    • User uploaded file
    • User uploaded file
    • User uploaded file
    • User uploaded file

QT 7 Pro:

• Sounds like this is out. I will check that off the list for another day.

For instance, can you post a sample problem file for download in order to examine/test on my system?

• YES. Do you do dropbox? If yes send me your email and I will send the clip to you.

Since you indicate the files were imported or captured by FCP5, their compression format would depend on both the tape device and/or "Easy Setup" software option used to store the original digitized data which thereafter may or may not have been re-rendered to another compression format during or after your project was completed as part of the "output" process.

• On this, one thing to note is that these files are the original Capture Scratch from the Capture Tool in FCP. I have not run them through a timeline or exported them in any fashion. Maybe that will simplify our interests...

a) If files do not open in any media player, use the Finder "Info" window to see what it can tell you about the file. This information may be minimal.

• Here is a screen shot of the finder info:
  • User uploaded file

c) You can also use a dedicated utility app like MidiaInfo (free) to examine the file characteristics. These apps usually provide the most information.

• See Screen shot of Media Info below:

• User uploaded file

So, once again if the files play in VLC but not in QT, then we need to look at the specific compression formats involved to determine just what the problem is.

• Sounds like they are not orphaned files since the play in VLC on my iMac...

(Pacifist can also be used to install the QT MPEG-2 Playback component instead of the "helper" intaller utility provided in the MPEG Streamclip download mentioned above.) Have not really tested this method of installing FCP on Mac OS X v10.8.3, but it does seem logical that it would work since I can still use FCP still operated under Mountain Lion.

• I'm always a little cautious about experimenting with my Mac, but I will check this out and let you know if I have success.

So overall is sounds like we are getting closer to solving this problem. Let me know if those screen shots help and I can also get you a file to work with if you would like, just let me know where to send it. Other than that, really appreciate all you're doing to help me out here. Thanks!

Apr 7, 2013 3:30 PM in response to Walton_Editor

One further note:

I reviewed the site you referenced for the QT MPEG2 playback (i.e. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A/quicktime-mpeg-2-playback-component-f or-mac-os-x?fnode=62). This makes me think maybe I need to download this as a trial and error test...but I wasn't getting that you were recommending. For me $19 won't kill me, although I can always go for saving money...so let me know if you feel it could solve and I will pull the trigger.

Thanks again.

Apr 7, 2013 4:37 PM in response to Walton_Editor

See screen shots of Media Information from VLC, Inspector from QT, and SteamInfo from MPEG StreamClip:

Screen shots indicate this video content is HDV—not MPEG-2. As previously indicated HDV (aka DV-100) is HD resolution DV content wrapped in a long GOP data stream which many apps tend to identify as an MPEG-1/2 file. Unfortunately, the HDV codecs are installed FCP/FCE and are no longer installed as part of the iMovie installation which now converts HDV to AIC (the Apple Intermediate Codec) during the capture process.

QT 7 Pro:

• Sounds like this is out. I will check that off the list for another day.

While you may not need it at this time, don't sell QT 7 Pro short. I use it on an almost daily basic for quick edits, making christmas cards, quick layer composits, masking, etc. For $29 it is a very handy thing to have on hand if you know how to use it and the files you wish to edit are fully compatible.

YES. Do you do dropbox? If yes send me your email and I will send the clip to you.

No longer needed as the screen shots you provided confirmed the problem.

On this, one thing to note is that these files are the original Capture Scratch from the Capture Tool in FCP. I have not run them through a timeline or exported them in any fashion. Maybe that will simplify our interests...

Also seemed to be confirmed by the screen shots.

• Here is a screen shot of the finder info:
  • Like VLC, the Finder "Info" window misidentifies the HDV video stream.

• See Screen shot of Media Info below:

• Like the QT "Inspector" window, MediaInfo also correctly identified the video codec.

Sounds like they are not orphaned files since the play in VLC on my iMac...

Your file is a "standalone" file. Only "reference" files can be "orphaned." The scratch file contains all of the compressed data within the file itself.

I'm always a little cautious about experimenting with my Mac, but I will check this out and let you know if I have success.

You have a right to be cautious here. Pacificist can allow you to do things that might corrupt you system so you must be careful if you use it.

So overall is sounds like we are getting closer to solving this problem. Let me know if those screen shots help and I can also get you a file to work with if you would like, just let me know where to send it. Other than that, really appreciate all you're doing to help me out here.

Problem in terms of a cause is solved. Now all you have to do is install, migrate, or copy the HDV codecs to your current system so your files can use them. If it helps, here are the add-on components I currently have installed. Most were installed by the FCP Suite:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 7, 2013 4:45 PM in response to Walton_Editor

I reviewed the site you referenced for the QT MPEG2 playback (i.e. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D2187Z/A/quicktime-mpeg-2-playback-component-f or-mac-os-x?fnode=62). This makes me think maybe I need to download this as a trial and error test...but I wasn't getting that you were recommending. For me $19 won't kill me, although I can always go for saving money...so let me know if you feel it could solve and I will pull the trigger.

This component is required for real MPEG-2 compressed data. It will not fix your missing FCP codec component configuration problem but is handy if you want to open/play MPEG/MPG files containing "muxed" MPEG-2/MPEG-1 layered audio in QT 7 or MPEG Streamclip or open/play/edit muxed MPEG-2 content that you have demuxed to M2V and AIFF elementary stream files.

User uploaded file

Apr 7, 2013 7:37 PM in response to Jon Walker

Jon this is great stuff! I can't thank you enough...we have killed 2 birds with 1 stone here. I solved the issue with the .mov/mpeg-2 file and in addition thanks to your recommendation with the Pacifist software was able to install FCP 6 and now it is operational! Can't say enough about how excited I am.

Here are some of my final thoughts of review for those who may run into the problem yourself:

The use of the program Pacifist was downloaded to my iMac with Mountain Lion to assist in the install of my old version of FCP 6 doing this also solved the overall problem that brough about this threat of playing a file that appeared on the outside to be an MPEG-2 file, but was really and HDV or DV-100 file (which was obsolete to be opened by QTX or QT7 on the newest version of iMac 10.8 prior to this solution).

Thanks again Jon and hope anyone out there reading can short cut the trouble by review this discussion.

Best,

Walton_Editor

Nov 11, 2013 4:25 PM in response to Walton_Editor

I am currently using the same exact filetype, only with mine the video is not registered by MPEG Streamclip (but IS recognized by Quicktime)

I am trying to open these files in Avid Media Composer. I can run an AMA link but there is no way to import the footage into MC7 that MC7 will recognize. The footage appears totally green. I would go with the AMA link, although I am having a bizarre problem in which the beginning of each clip begins with about a second of footage from the previous clip, and the end of the clip is cut a second short.

I am very confused. Is there a program/ any way to get transcode the footage into a recongizable file format for Avid MC7?

What do I do, short of purchasing FCP for my computer (which is out of the question).

Nov 12, 2013 5:24 AM in response to Walton_Editor

jcm499

Going back on this coversation...my answer doesn't seem so helpful. I am not 100% sure how you would tackle this for AVID. If it's playing green on the screen I don't think AMA linking would work. There was the option of converting all this footage first in MPEG stream clip... Is that what you were saying you were doing?

I think this all boils down to bringing into your computer a version of QT or AVID that can read it. For me it was basically an old file type that got overlooked in all my current versions of QT on my computer. In my case I could open it in MPEG stream clip and VLC which had the reader within their programs, but QT didn't. When bringing in FCP, I believe also brough in an older version of QT that had the reader for this file and solved my issue.

You may look into resolving this through updating or working with your versions of QT first and that may lend to AMA linking or proper transcoding with AVID. Overall you just need to find the reader for this file type and put it into the program or convert this file type into a reader the program likes...the later of the two compromises the quality of your files.

Hope that help you get started. I know it's easier said than done...

Codec: MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM doesn't function in iMac 10.8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
    A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.