Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless connection to internet with mac pro tower and airport extreme base station?

Hi, I have an airport extreme base station and a mac pro tower without a airport card. My internet wireless router is a great distance from my computer so I can't connect the base station directly to the router. I've attached the airport extreme base station to the tower via an ethernet cable, the base station seems to be wirelessly connected to the home network but the browser is showing "not connected".

Please help.

Thanks

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 8:14 PM

4 replies

Apr 6, 2013 9:10 PM in response to rodster911

Unless your Internet wireless router is another AirPort base station, you will not be able to use the AirPort Extreme as a wireless Ethernet bridge for your Mac Pro. If it is, then you can configure the Extreme to extend is wireless network. In this configuration, the Extreme's Ethernet ports will be enabled for Internet connectivity.

Apr 8, 2013 9:51 AM in response to rodster911

Shouldn't the Airport base station be able to connect to it wirelessly?

It might be possible, but the Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme would not be enabled, even if it did connect to the Thompson' WiFi signal.

As Tesserax notes, among the Apple routers, only the 802.11n versions of the AirPort Express have the capability to "join" a wireless network with the Ethernet port being enabled.

Wireless connection to internet with mac pro tower and airport extreme base station?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.