Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory - Apple says 16GIG, everyone else says 32GIG Upgrade?

So I want to upgrade the memory in my Mid 2011 iMac i7 computer from 4 gig memory to the max possiable. From The apple documents it says the max is 4x 4GIG memory cards for a total of 16GIG, but from when I read online this computer will accept 4x 8GIG memory cards for a total of 32GIG.

Has anyone had any issues going up to 32GIGs? Will it effect anything in my computer on the negative side?

I was going to buy either OWC or crucial brand.

What I dont get is when I called Apple support and asked how much memory I could use they said "well the enginners documented 16gig max and felt that was the specs"

But when I told apple support that I read about people installing 32GIGs they did not have anything bad to say about it, but just mentioned they dont offer support for anything over 16gigs and if I had a issue with my iMac I would have to pop in my old 4gigs to get support.

If 32gigs work why wont apple just embrace it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 8:01 PM

9 replies

Memory - Apple says 16GIG, everyone else says 32GIG Upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.