Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i Mac OS X 10.5.8 upgrade to Mountain Lion or Snow leopard?

I have i Mac OS X 10.5.8. Is there anyway to upgrade to Mountain Lion or Snow leopard?

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 10:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 11:42 PM

> I have i Mac OS X 10.5.8. Is there anyway to upgrade to Mountain Lion

> or Snow leopard? iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

You will have to either upgrade to 10.6.8 (which gets you the App Store) and get 10.8 from there. This should keep your machine as is, as far as possible. But don't go there without a verified backup!

Or, best will be to hook it up in Target Mode to a 10.8 machine and install 10.8 directly onto it from the App Store. The *BIG* advantage here will be that you get a clean install and do away with all the (potential) problems accumulated in the past. Then put back your work files by hand and the software from the App Store and other verified sources. Probably you will need all new versions of your apps anyway.....

Message was edited by: Planeten Paultje

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2013 11:42 PM in response to AboTarik

> I have i Mac OS X 10.5.8. Is there anyway to upgrade to Mountain Lion

> or Snow leopard? iMac (24-inch Early 2009), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

You will have to either upgrade to 10.6.8 (which gets you the App Store) and get 10.8 from there. This should keep your machine as is, as far as possible. But don't go there without a verified backup!

Or, best will be to hook it up in Target Mode to a 10.8 machine and install 10.8 directly onto it from the App Store. The *BIG* advantage here will be that you get a clean install and do away with all the (potential) problems accumulated in the past. Then put back your work files by hand and the software from the App Store and other verified sources. Probably you will need all new versions of your apps anyway.....

Message was edited by: Planeten Paultje

Apr 7, 2013 8:20 AM in response to Planeten Paultje

Do not, I repeat, do not make the huge mistake of installing Mountain Lion in your computer. You will be sorry very soon and forever. You will not be able to use most of your existing software, and you will not be able go back to your previous system unless you reformat your hard drives. Continue with Mac Leopard and forget about one or two silly advantages of Mountain Lion. I will never understand how Apple had the guts to sale such a horrible system program.

Apr 7, 2013 9:27 AM in response to Planeten Paultje

The advantage of having access to I lcloud. Is that sufficient to justify the expense of having to buy new software to be able to use Mountain Lion? I do not think so.

Four reasons why installing Mountain Lion is a big mistake.

1. Most of your existing software won't work with Mountain Lion, forcing you to buy expensive new software.
  2. 2.Once the Mountain Lion is installed you can't uninstall it unless you format your hard drive.
  3. 3.Using two hard drives you can't switch from Mountain Lion to Mac Leopard and viceversa. Once Mountain Lion is installed in one of the hard drives your computer frezzes when you try to star with any other system.
  4. Once you go back to Mac Leopard for obvious reasons, you can't use the data that was used with Mountain Lion. It tells you that "it was created with a newer System", and therefore, if you want to use it you have to reinstalled Mountain Lion.

Apr 7, 2013 10:34 AM in response to AboTarik

To answer your question.

Upgrade to Snow Leopard, then update to 10.6.8 Snow Leopard Purchase

Mac OS 10.6.8 Combo Updater

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. Application Compatibility

If you have applications that you want to use that aren't compatible, you can retain Snow Leopard and create a new partition to install Mountain Lion on or use one of these programs to run Snow Leopard. I have two partition and boot between them daily.

Parrallels

VirtualBox

VM Fusion

You can then download Mountain Lion from the App Store. I suggest that you make a copy of the installer and move it out of the Applications folder. The installer self destructs when done and by having a copy, you won't have to download it again.

If you want a bootable drive:

Bootable Drive DVD or USB Flash Drive – Lion Diskmaker

I have been running Mountain Lion since it was released with no major problems. Mountain Lion doesn't act like Snow Leopard. For example, scrolling is reversed, but can be changed. If you spend enough time in System Preferences, you can get the OS to be mostly like Snow Leopard.

Apr 7, 2013 10:34 AM in response to manchi

> The advantage of having access to I lcloud. Is that sufficient to justify the expense of having to buy new software to be able to use Mountain Lion? I do not think so.

Opinions will vary. To me it is very important to have access to iCloud because of the syncing for one.

> Four reasons why installing Mountain Lion is a big mistake.

> 1. Most of your existing software won't work with Mountain Lion, forcing you to buy expensive new software.

I have the same machine as mentioned by AboTarikand it came with Leopard. It has 4GB of RAM, I planned for the future. Over the years I have updated and upgraded the OS and, as a consequence, the applications where needed. Now I am at 10.8.3 and very happy with it. So I have spread out the costs that came with going from 10.5 to 10.8 over the years. AboTarik considers doing it in one go. Same difference methinks, certainly less hours.

> 2. Once the Mountain Lion is installed you can't uninstall it unless you format your hard drive.

I can't see a problem with that, a format gives you a clean drive, Good Thing ®.

> 3. Using two hard drives you can't switch from Mountain Lion to Mac Leopard and viceversa. Once Mountain Lion is installed in one of the hard drives your computer frezzes when you try to star with any other system.

Not my experience. At work I have a Mac Pro from the 10.5 generation with four drives which I use to do tests with various versions of the OS. We are at 10.6.8 at present and preparing to move to 10.8 during the summer. Holding down Alt gives me the drive selector at boot time and in the preferences of all versions I can select the drive to start from next.

> 4. Once you go back to Mac Leopard for obvious reasons, you can't use the data that was used with Mountain Lion. It tells you that "it was created with a newer System", and therefore, if you want to use it you have to reinstalled Mountain Lion.

True. I migrated all my files to their latest app versions and no way I can go back. I maintain a 10.5 boot partition on an external drive with some apps I thought I wanted to keep, in patricular Deep Space Explorer and Voyager III. But guess what, I haven't booted from there in the last few years, because I didn't need to. Better and more advanced software has come along to take their place. 10.5 is now just nostalgia for me.

So I guess that I would be against such a big OS upgrade if it concerns a one-trick pony machine that performs its duties well while not needing any app updates for the job at hand. Having to upgrade memory (4GB being the absolute bare minimum) may be a factor too, but what does memory cost nowadays?

In the meantime technology moves on and I like to go with it for the ride. For instance I like Apple's security setup in Safari, near real-time blocking of zero-day exploits as we saw recently. Also there is iBooks Author to mention just one app.

i Mac OS X 10.5.8 upgrade to Mountain Lion or Snow leopard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.