Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you add a phone number to iPad without an iPhone

Hello nto anyone who reads this......

i have had an ipad 3 for a year and we recently got my daughter the mini. I am wanting to add my Google Voice phone number to imessage, or any number really.I never had the need to use imessage till recently but i am not receiveing my imessages in imessage due to lack of phone number, instead it go to my email (which i rarly check). i have been useing googlve voice on it...making my ipad our home phone. I have NO intention of buying on iPhone!!!! But i want to use I message to talk with my family/friends that have iPhones instead of ipads......Sooooo Is It Possible To Add A Phine Number To iMessage WITHOUT an iPhone????

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 6, 2013 11:52 PM

5 replies

Apr 7, 2013 3:39 AM in response to brmibo

brmibo wrote:

Is It Possible To Add A Phine Number To iMessage WITHOUT an iPhone????

No, the only phone number you can add to iMessages is an iPhone number tied to the same Apple ID. However, as Jim explained, you don't need a number in iMessages to contact other iOS users. If you are not receiving messages from other iOS users, the problem is NOT the lack of a number.

You do seem a little confused about how the iMessages works. People will message you at your Apple ID (which may well be the same as your primary email address). However, the messages appear in the Messages app, not your email. No checking of email is required. You will, of course, have to check the Messages app.

Apr 7, 2013 5:19 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for telling me i couldnt get the number.....i was hoping there had been a work around found for this after 2+ years of it being released....but no such luck....darn it

Any iMessage I have ever received Never go to my iMessage ....they aren't even showing up in the history, but if I go to my email there it is ......The only 2messages that have gone through properly was messages sent from my daughters ipad mini to my ipad 3, which both use my apple ID.

If you know why this is or how to fix it....I'm all ears!!...lol

Apr 7, 2013 6:33 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for teying to help me

My daughter is sending through iMessage from her email but my apple id....those have gone through to mine

.......but when and friend or family member try's to send me message from iMessage it ends up in my email not in my iMessage....

As for my daughter having her own ID....Thats a whole other story.

Apple and I had a long talk after my daughter spend $500 on inapp stuff even though she was saying no/cancel to....Apple will not allow her to have her own apple I'd since she is under the age of 13....they told me on the phone if I didn't have that ipad mini set to mine but with restrictions turned on they would zap it .....my daughter is 11. We never had a problem with her using my ipad or iPod before.

can you add a phone number to iPad without an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.