Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does mac mail reduce resolution of photos attached to e-mails?

I didn't know where to post this, so I'm trying this.

I have a photo attachment that starts out at 350 dpi and 2 or 3 MB but when it is e-mailed it becomes 72 dpi and a few hundred KB n the receiving end.

how can I send attachments without them being altered?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), User is a dope

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 10:18 AM

Hello, in Mail, once you attach a pic, look in the bottom right of the compose window for Image Size, Actual size should be a choice.

4 replies

Apr 7, 2013 10:57 AM in response to obbay

Mail does that to keep the file at a reasonable size. (Some mail service providers will refuse an email above a certain size.) You can compress the file before you attach it. File / Compress. This is a simple way to preserve the original characteristics of the file. The recepient can double click on the attachment to expand it.

By the way, compressing ("zipping") a file preserves the original. You can trash the .zip file afer you have emailed it.

Apr 26, 2016 4:34 AM in response to Dexter123

I have the same problem and it is not resolved by selecting "actual size". The recipient is reporting that the images appear embedded in the email instead of as separate attachments - and they are reduced in size/resolution. I did attach them as files (using the paperclip button) and also I have "Use Windows friendly attachments" selected. In my "sent items" they do appear in the body of the email but I had assumed that was just how Mail had decided to present it to me as the sender. How do I force Mail to send the images as actual separate attachments? Thanks.

why does mac mail reduce resolution of photos attached to e-mails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.