Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant

I am finally buying a new mac after nearly 6 years of owning my white iMac.

I would like to be able to transfer all my programmes and general settings to my new Mac Mini when I get it,

but my current iMac is quite poorly and whenever I use Disk Utility to Verify Disk it always tells me there is an

error and I need to fix the problem by using Verify Disk with my OSX disc.

So I do that and get it fixed, but it always ends up with an error again.

And I have spent so much time in the past trying to sort this out, but got nowhere.

Anyway, I just gave up and got on with things. So my worry is, if I transfer my entire iMac via Migration Assistant,

will I carry this error along to my new Mac Mini?

Is it a software or hardware problem? My end conclusion was that it is a hardware problem, most likely my hard drive.

My iMac is one of the last white generation iMacs, and I currently run Snow Leopard on it.

The most important data I need to transfer is my Logic Pro data and all my AU plug-ins and settings. If I could just

pick and choose what I transfer in detail, this would be best!

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 11:14 AM

I got similar symptoms when my hard disk was failing. More and more sectors fail and data gets moved to good sectors until eventually something critical gets corrupted and you are so glad you have bootable backup on an external disk or that new computer itself. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or the like to make a clone.

Should it be too late for this strategy, you may need to rescue your own data, photos etc to another disk. It may even be prefereble to install your apps from their source, but you need the keys handy.

If you can, use Setup Assistant at the first boot of the new computer, to transfer your user account. Using Migration Assistant later makes another new account and leads to difficulties accessing original data from other sources.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Doppyjoe

I got similar symptoms when my hard disk was failing. More and more sectors fail and data gets moved to good sectors until eventually something critical gets corrupted and you are so glad you have bootable backup on an external disk or that new computer itself. You can use Carbon Copy Cloner or the like to make a clone.

Should it be too late for this strategy, you may need to rescue your own data, photos etc to another disk. It may even be prefereble to install your apps from their source, but you need the keys handy.

If you can, use Setup Assistant at the first boot of the new computer, to transfer your user account. Using Migration Assistant later makes another new account and leads to difficulties accessing original data from other sources.

Apr 7, 2013 2:01 PM in response to Doppyjoe

That is debatable. I do not have all my original disks for my apps, so took the risk of transferring my user account. The theory is that data gets moved out of bad sectors and Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) gives an error message when it sees corrupted data but then leaves the "last good" data in place. So nothing bad should get across, in theory. I have not had any repercussions myself, and a full clean install takes hours, with numerous visits to manufacturer's websites to get updates to apps, drivers et al.

Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.