Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get around safari no longer launching jnlp files with 6.0.3?

I'm both a user of Java Webstart applications and a publisher (at work and for private projects)

Given the latest update to Safari that no longer launches a JNLP file I've had no choice but recommend that my clients switch to Firefox or Chrome in order to continue using the Java Webstart applications.

The fact that clicking the button or link to launch the JNLP appears to do nothing, that sometimes the JNLP is downloaded and other times not, and it never launches webstart, makes it impossible to support clients and makes the applications appear completely broken.

Is there no workaround to this? Some way to get Safari to run the JNLP file?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Safari 6.0.3

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 1:27 PM

For security reasons, WebStart application files are now downloaded to a hidden folder and are not launched automatically. Although you may find instructions on the Internet for defeating this protection, I strongly advise against doing so.

The right way to launch a WebStart application is to click the Downloads button at the right end of the Safari toolbar and then double-click the icon of the JNLP file you just downloaded. If you want to save the file for later use, click the magnifying-glass icon to reveal it in the Finder, and then move it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2013 1:27 PM in response to stevenwwj

For security reasons, WebStart application files are now downloaded to a hidden folder and are not launched automatically. Although you may find instructions on the Internet for defeating this protection, I strongly advise against doing so.

The right way to launch a WebStart application is to click the Downloads button at the right end of the Safari toolbar and then double-click the icon of the JNLP file you just downloaded. If you want to save the file for later use, click the magnifying-glass icon to reveal it in the Finder, and then move it.

How to get around safari no longer launching jnlp files with 6.0.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.