Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air freezes while I'm watching Netflix...

I've only had my Mac for about 2 1/2 months, yet I've had it freeze up 4 times. My hardrive also crashed about 2 weeks ago, but I took it to the Apple store and got it replaced, unfortunately 3 out of the 4 freezes were post replacement. I just realized that each time it's happened while using Netflix. At first I thought maybe it was just because I'd been using Google Chrome to watch it on, so I switched to Safari, and last night it froze on me while using that browser. Pretty much, I'll be watching Netflix on full screen and out of no where the screen will freeze and my Mac starts making an odd clicking noise of somesort. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks!

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 4:48 PM

Hi annienicolev

I had the same thing going on last night. I re-installed the Microsoft Silverlight (a couple of times) and then it worked! Been watching "House of Cards" all evening today with no problem.

Try it out!

14 replies

Apr 7, 2013 10:41 PM in response to annienicolev

Funny that you should post this. The precise same thing just happened to me and I unboxed my Macbook Air just a few hours ago. I was watching Netflix full screen on Google Chrome, then it froze and there was an unsettling clicking from the inside of the computer. I rebooted it and it's working flawlessly again. It sounded like a hardware issue, so I thought I should bring it back to the store (I bought this computer to last me 3+ years; it is disconcerting to have an issue with it within several hours). If it's just a problem with Silverlight then maybe that is easily fixable...I'm not sure if it's worth having checked out!

Apr 13, 2013 4:41 AM in response to annienicolev

Me too! I bought a refurbished mid-2012 macbook air 3 weeks ago, and this has already happened 3x, twice in Safari,once in chrome--Always when watching netflix full screen.

This problem reminds me of the pre-osX days when macs used to crash frequently--the screen just freezes and you can't do anything except a hard restart.

While the hard restart is annoying, the clicking noise is really disturbing...Any thoughts on what that might be? It doesn't sound like just the audio is skipping....it sounds more like hardware, possibly the fan. If it is hardware it sounds like something terrible is happening.

For those that reinstalled silverlight---have you had any more issuess?

For now I'm just not using full screen and it seems ok (though I would rather find a permanent solution). Since I'm still under warranty and backed up (plus addicted to netflix), I'm willing to risk it for now😎

Oct 25, 2013 12:35 AM in response to annienicolev

fyi... i have taken my 11" mac book air to apple store in san francisco twice in a month to fix this problem. got it back yesterday... same thing. I am now under the impression that it's a netflix issue. every time i try to watch netflix (safari or chrome) it crashes. re-downloaded silverlight twice... same crash sitch, maybe 30 min into watching netflix. in fact re-downloaded silverlight as per instrux earlier tonight, watched netflix for 10 min... crashed. went to watch again, told me i had to uninstall silverlight (again) and re-download...

Mar 27, 2014 5:11 PM in response to annienicolev

I've had the same problem since the day I got my macbook air. I brought it into the genius bar and they replaced several parts, which didn't fix it. I think they also completely wiped and rebooted the computer. It still freezes in fullscreen regardless of the browser I'm using. The screen freezes followed by a mechanical clicking sound and I have to hard reset. I even recorded it happening and brought the video to the genius bar and they had no idea what it was.

My MacBook Air freezes while I'm watching Netflix...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.