Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help to fix 2007 Macbook that keeps crashing

I have a Late-2007 Macbook (the plastic one) which runs 10.7.5. For the past month and a half, I will be on my computer and suddenly everything stops working. Webpages stop loading, I can't switch or quit out of programs, etc. Then suddenly, my computer crashes. When it crashes, the whole computer goes black but you can hear that it's still on. To turn the computer back on, I have to hold down the power button to shut the computer off completely. When I turn it back on, everything works as normal. This has been happening about once every two or three days, except once or twice it has gone a week without crashing. I verified and repaired the computer's harddrive using the disk utility application, however that did not help. Also, it's happened when I had open a number of different programs so it doesn't appear that it could be an application causing it to crash (for example, it's crashed while I've used Google Chrome and another time when I've used Firefox so that doesn't seem to be the issue) Has anyone had this problem and/or know a possible solution?

Thank you in advance!

MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 11:51 AM

You should reset the SMC first

Shut down the computer.

Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.

Remove the battery.

Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Release the power button.

Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If you keep having unextected shutdowns I would run the Apple Hardware Test from your original grey install discs.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2013 11:51 AM in response to shak77

You should reset the SMC first

Shut down the computer.

Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.

Remove the battery.

Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.

Release the power button.

Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.

Press the power button to turn on the computer.

If you keep having unextected shutdowns I would run the Apple Hardware Test from your original grey install discs.

Apr 7, 2013 12:31 PM in response to shak77

The SMC stands for System Managenpment Controller, it's biult into the main logic board so it's nothing you can see or need to. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Just shut the computer down, unplug everything and remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 5 second, release the power button andreinstall the battery and connect your charger, finally restart the mac. See if that helps.

Apr 18, 2013 4:51 AM in response to shak77

If AHT finds an error it'll tell you that there was an error but will report it as a cryptic error message. It's never as simple as it could be, but it'll let you know that there IS a hardware fault. If it reports an error you can be confident it's right but it won't always find it if there is a fault. It's free and available but you may have to make a trip to the genius bar for more through troubleshooting.

Need help to fix 2007 Macbook that keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.