Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system preferences crashes

This morning when the computer booted up, it did not start the programs I have saved under "Accounts," "log-in." I figured they'd gone missing; they've done that before though I don't know why. But when I opened System Preferences "Accounts," the system preferences crashed. I have tried numerous times. System preferences comes up, but when I try to open any of its options, it crashes.

I have already tried to replace the System Preferences using Time Machine. I tried it twice or three times, using different times last week. It didn't help.

Time Machine-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 12:05 PM

3 replies

Apr 9, 2013 8:08 AM in response to ttimshell

Run through this list of fixes methodically.

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

What #12 and #13 is going to do when you get to it, is list all the corrupted .plist files on your machine, you use the same proceedure you find it, delete the corrupted one(s) reboot and then launch the affected program and will need to enter new preferences for it.

I would reccommend #12/#13 right away but since you fiddled around I rather make sure your machine is working fine elsewhere as well because other things affect other things.

Hopefully your problem will be resolved by Step #15, but if not then try #16 and create a new user account, log into it and see if your problems go away.

system preferences crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.