Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't dismiss notifications by swiping from left to right but I can open Notification Center by swiping from right to left. Why is that? It used to work before!

Hello,

I can't dismiss notifications by swiping from left to right but I can open Notification Center by swiping from right to left. Why is that? It used to work before! Even the notification center trackpad setting is checkmarked. It just suddenly decided not to let me dismiss notifications from swiping left to right.

Maxed Out 2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina running on the most up-to-date OSX v10.8.3.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 2:14 PM

11 replies

Apr 7, 2013 2:41 PM in response to kelhak1

Hello,

I don't have an issue opening and closing the notification center. My issue is that I'm not able to dismiss pop up notifications from the notification center by swiping from left to right which is a feature of the Notification Center. it used to work before but now I have to manually drag the pop up notification to the right to dismiss or press the close button on the top right of it.

Jun 26, 2013 8:18 AM in response to bdgeorge

I recently upgraded the hard drive in my MBP (Early 2011) and reinstalled ML and now have the same issue. When I put in my old hard drive and boot to the same version of ML there, it works just fine, but not on the fresh install. Everything else seems to work just fine, just can't two finger swipe to dismiss notification banners.

Jul 1, 2013 3:12 PM in response to DJ CodeBlue

I was able to get it working again, but it's clearly a bug, another thread documented the strange link between the notification gestures and the magic mouse system preferences.

In System Preferences > Mouse > More Gestures I had "Swipe between pages" turned off, turned that back on and notification dismisals returned to normal. So I have all 3 gestures on that preference pane enabled and it works now.

Jul 1, 2013 3:20 PM in response to bdgeorge

I can confirm that this setting does result in the Notification Center exhibiting the appropriate behavior. Definitely a bug though, as I don't think NC dismissal should be tied to two finger history swiping. I don't really like the two finger swiping for back/forward, but definitely appreciate dismissing notifications.

I can't dismiss notifications by swiping from left to right but I can open Notification Center by swiping from right to left. Why is that? It used to work before!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.