Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone5 got wet

Hi! I fell into a pond yesterday at around 10am with my iphone 5 in my shorts. I was in the water for about 3 seconds, got back up and turned off my phone. I wiped dry and let it air dry for about an hour. When i got home at night, 1030pm, i checked the forums, and found the keep it in rice fix. So, i took out the sim and placed it in a ziplock bag with rice. Then I found a link in apple support on how to check the wet indicator of my iphone. Checked it, and it was still white. How long do I have to keep it in rice? I have a 730am alarm set for every morning, but it did not go off this morning. Was that normal? I have my fingers and toes crossed while i am typing this. Hope everything will be fine.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 5:11 PM

6 replies

Apr 8, 2013 7:31 PM in response to kulas

Hi! Just an update to all. Like I said before, every iphone has a liquid contact indicator which changes color when it gets wet. Glad to tell you that mine did not change color. I turned it on yesterday and it was like before (fingers still crossed). Anyway, here is what I did if ever anyone has any unfortunate accidents:

1. Turn off the phone immediately.

2. Wipe it dry, especially the speakers, earphone jack, and lightning connector.

3. Take out the sim card and check the indicator. For me, I did it 10hrs later because I still have not gotten home yet.

4. Vacuum every crevice you can find.

5. Put in in uncooked rice to draw out the water. It depends on how wet your phone got. For me, I did it for less than 24 hours. Like I said, my indicator did not change color.

6. Keep your fingers crossed until you turn the phone on again. Hope this helps!

Below is the link on where to find the liquid contact indicator for different devices:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3302

🙂

Mar 24, 2014 5:15 AM in response to kulas

hi there,

i badly need help..sorry to interfere with this discussion. but my iphone 5 wont charge after it got wet last 3days. i already put it in a rice. then i charge it coz i know the battery was also drain. so i plug it. it charge for about 2% then it went off again. then the apple symbol shows and it wouldnt charge anymore. help me please.. its only 3months since i went to buy it. thanks

Mar 24, 2014 6:06 PM in response to Veealy

Hi Veealy,

Please check the link on my post above. You will see the wetness indicator in the sim card slot. If the indicator turned pink then you have a problem there. It means that the inside got wet. Since you are still under warranty, I suggest that you take it back to the Apple store and have it looked at. If the wetness indicator did not turn pink, dont tell them that it got wet, maybe there was another problem. Good luck!

Nov 23, 2014 7:52 PM in response to kulas

Indeed, Apple does not cover water damaged devices. There's an LCI (Liquid Contact Indicator) installed in the device and can be checked by a tech to determine whether the unit has been exposed to liquid. If so, the warranty is void. Here's an article with more details:

How to Fix Water Damaged iPhone

As the user above mentioned, many Third-Party repair sites offer coverage of this sort of damage. Do thorough research and find the vendor most suited for your case.

Good luck!

Iphone5 got wet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.