Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect to multiple Macs over the internet?

I have forwarded the ports on my Airport Extreme as follows:

User uploaded file

10.0.1.3 being assigned to my Mac Mini.

I also have a MacBook Pro at home I would like access to which has the 10.0.1.4 reserved/assigned. I cannot connect to it because the port forwarding points to the Mac Mini, and it doesn't allow me to create another rule since those ports are already being used by that first entry. How do I go about having the option to connect to either one of the two computers at home when I'm at work using Apple Remote Desktop?

Apple Remote Desktop

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 6:55 PM

3 replies

Apr 9, 2013 5:16 PM in response to LOLuMad

it's not really a confirmed limitation of ARD, ARD is not designed to work outside of a LAN

it's designed for system admins to manage macs remotely while on the same LAN

but you want to use it outside of your LAN, you can by using VPN

VPN gives you remote secure access to your LAN

you will appear to be connected to your LAN

so you can do most things as you would if you were actually on your LAN

ARD does not facilitate a VPN connection

you'd connect using a VPN connection to your LAN then start ARD, ARD will behave just as it would if you were on the LAN

VPN client is built into OSX, system preferences, network, add choose VPN connection

You'd need a VPN server such as OSX server on your LAN

and configure any firewalls, routers etc to allow incoming VPN to connect to your server

You'd also need either a fixed external IP address and external domain name or use dynamic DNS setup

you could also try logmein

How can I connect to multiple Macs over the internet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.