Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail, Imap, charter.net problems an no real answers

I have been working on this for two days (frustration) with both Apple senior support techs and Charter Internet.

I could not get IMAP or SMTP to work with Apple mail very well, if at all. I have 5 Imap accounts. The first account I put on the mail app on my Mac Book Pro worked fairly well. The second account would read mail, but not send. When I say "read" at best it was intermittent with charter.

My settings are configured correctly, so I do not need to review them. (Please note, I am using the new mobile.charter.net server settings and thought I would finally be able to send mail outside of my home charter network. The old smpt.charter.net send mail servers for sending emails from charter emails when outside of the charter network will never work) When the mail is not working, either send or receive, I get the alerts for the IMAP server:

"There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account "xxxx@charter.net" or try again. The server returned the error: The connection to the server "mobile.charter.net" on port 993 times out"

And I get alerts from the smpt server:

"Connections to the server "mobile.charter.net" on the default ports timed out. Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent."

Of course all my settings are correct.

At the moment the connection doctor states:

"Could not connect to this SMTP server. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Account preferences. Also verify that the server supports SSL. If it does not, deselect the "Use SSL" checkbox in the Advanced tab of the Account preferences."

Of course, at the moment all of my SMTP charter accounts are down with a "red dot" showing. Two out of 5 of my IMAP servers show a "green dot" and the others are red.

This is a huge problem for both Apple and Charter in my opinion.

If anyone has a sure cure, I would certainly like to know about it. It appears that Mail is not syncing properly with charter.

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5), MacBook Pro, 2.4 G duo, 4 GB

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 5:39 PM

2 replies

Apr 7, 2013 6:15 PM in response to Ti-maniac

Regarding the iPhone (5 in my case) it works relatively well with charter.net IMAP and smtp functions at mobile.charter.well. But does occassionally have sync problems as well.

To fix the problem with my MacBook Pro Mail app, the Apple senior tech could not determine the problem, so he told me to reinstall the app. To do this I had to run the Archive and Install feature of the recovery disk (hold down cmd-r on reboot). Of course this two two hours to complete, as well as run software updates. And it did not fix the sync problem.

So??? This one has me stymied!

Oh, one other input. The email app "Thunderbird" works perfectly with charter.net IMAP and its smtp, syncs every time!

Mail, Imap, charter.net problems an no real answers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.