Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen driver not reacting when disconnecting external display

I use my personal MacBook Pro every day at work together with an external display, which I use as the primary display. I then take it with me home where I don't have an external display.

Whenever I plug in my external display, the desktop immediately expands across both displays, and I have never experienced trouble with this part. But periodically (once or twice a week) the screen driver does not detect when I disconnect the external display again. And since I use the external display as the primary one I now miss my menu bar, and hence have no real control over the computer. So far, the only way I can get my MacBook Pro to detect the change in display setup, is to shut it off and turn it on again. (And without my external display, I can only do this by holding down the power button, and it hurts me to have to do thi)

When this problem occurs, I can still reconnect the external display and regain control, but reconnecting and disconnecting again will not change anything. It is as if the software has lost contact with the mini display port.

I did not have this problem on any version of Snow Leopard, and I only used Lion as a stepping stone to get Mountain Lion, so I cannot way if the problem exists here too.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

And have you found any other solution than to shut down the computer?

Temporary as well as permanent fixes are very wellcome!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 12:09 AM

6 replies

Apr 24, 2013 4:20 PM in response to MaxNyby

I have exactly the same issue. Happens about one out of every 5 disconnects. Even if I turn on mirroring so I can see everything on my macbook pro screen, if I put it to sleep it wakes up with black screen and need to hard restart to recover.

I completed the following which seems to help for a week or so, but issue occurred again yesterday!

1. Reset PRAM

2. Reset SMC

3. Delete preference file: com.apple.windowserver.plist in /Library/Preferences

Oct 4, 2013 10:09 PM in response to MaxNyby

I have this issue frequently on MacOS 10.8.5. My Macbook Pro Retina seems to partially think there's still an external monitor connected.

Just today I figured out a workaround that fixes my machine without a reboot:

1. Load the Displays preferences. Since my menu bar is missing, Since I don't have a menu bar visible, Option-F2 (brightness) will bring this up.

2. I see two separate windows for display settings: the normal "Color LCD" window for my internal Macbook display, and another window for the phantom external display. I usually have to use the "Gather Windows" button to put them both on the same screen.

3. In the displays preferences for the phantom external display, change the Rotation setting from Standard to another setting, like 90 degrees.

That change was enough to cause the Macbook to reset the displays and realize the external display wasn't there. The second Displays window disappears, and my dock and menu bars are back on my built-in display!

I've only tried this once so far, so hopefully it holds up on future occasions. But, this has been such a persistenly annoying problem for me that I wanted to post this in case it can help anyone else!

Screen driver not reacting when disconnecting external display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.