Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updated to ios 6.1.3 and now exchange sync is not working- keeps getting the error message can not connect to server. tried every solution offered but nothing works. help please!!

updated to ios 6.1.3 and now exchange sync is not working- keeps getting the error message can not connect to server. tried every solution offered but nothing works. help please!!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 1:14 AM

9 replies

Apr 16, 2013 12:15 PM in response to diesel vdub

We're now experiencing this issue in our company with folks who have updated to 6.1.3. We've tried all the so called fixes, to include deleting the account with no success. We've scoured the exchange server for any errors or indication of these users' issue. Nothing there. Yet, folks on other versions of IOS and Android are connecting fine. So, it's not our server. As a side note, it really chaps me when end users are given the obligatory "contact your system administrator" line. Heck, administrators didn't write the crappy software. Don't send disgruntled users to them.

Apr 16, 2013 4:08 PM in response to spinat

So --- Just to add an interesting twist. In my company of 8... we have 4 iphone users, all running IOS 6.1.3... 2 users are able to sync their devices, no problem. 2 users get the dreded "Cannot connect..."

I've got back and looked at their exchange profiles, the only difference I can see between the two users is that in the Exchange 2013 ECP, the users who's phones are working properly showup as device on their mobile profile, the two who's aren't working dont.

Both of my working users have no problems connecting via internal WiFi or external celluar network. If it where a connection problem, the "account setup" on the iphone wouldn't be able to validate that an account exists. The error throws when you are actually trying to download your email after you've set everything up.

May 20, 2013 5:28 PM in response to jwerderman

I've found that we're experiencing this more ittemitantly, with a handful of users.

The number of people who appear to be having this problem might be larger as many of our users tend to sit back and assume the problems been reported, and that we're aware of it.

The ittermitant nature of this issue is its hard to recreate it on the iPhone i have sitting on my desk for support purposes. Our IT manager uses an iPhone 5 with no difficulties so I don't know why its only effecting come people... But suffice to say its making my life **** as people call the helpdesk and all I can say it its not us.

"If the issue continues, contact the exchange admin."

diesel vdub your not helping, nothing in exchange logs that indicates any kind of issue.

May 20, 2013 11:32 PM in response to Zac B

Additional:

Potential short term fix.

Killing the active sync pair in exchange management console appears to let them remove then readd the account and have it successfully sync again, from what i can tell its an almost immediate fix but its not permanent.

I'm not 100% sure but the same solution may work through the remote email.

Remote email:

for me its go to exchange.[mydomain].com.au (yep aussie)

Click Options, then on the left Mobile Devices

Select the device then remove from list. I don't know if this is exactly the same as doing it server side but the server side version did appear to work at least for a while.

Also using IMAP in the short term to atleast sync emails doesn't seem to work either.

May 30, 2013 12:11 AM in response to spinat

Hi Guys.

I got a new iPad, but couldn't get my Company Exchange mail to work. It setup fine and all the setup options were ticked okay, but I got errors when trying to download email....nothing worked not even the calendar.

Here's what I did.....

I opened up my OWA in my browser and clicked on "Options" (top righ-hand side), then on "See all options". There should be an option on the left that reads "Phone". ONce you click on that you will see all the your devices that have access to your Exchange account....some of mine were very old devices that I dont even own anymore. Microsoft only allows you to have 10 devices to connect to your email account. Delete a couple of old devices and setup your email on your new device. Mine worked like a charm.

Peace

JJ

Jun 21, 2013 6:26 PM in response to Magic174

Ok, just wanted to understand what you meant by 'TICKED"?

I ran into a similar issue today with a client's employee's iphone. I put in the username as her email, and it worked fine. She called back earlier saying it was messed up again.

Our email servers are run by 3rd party hosted exchange servers. I have called their tech support and he advised to delete the account config, then put it back in.

Also to let you know what all else I did with the iPoop, I mean iPhone, I reset the network settings on the phone to alleviate a issue with text messaging. User could not send a text outbound, but could receive them inbound. My mom's had the same issue and through research, found resetting the network settings resolved the text messaging issue (both on Verizon and AT&T.)

One more thing, if I was to revert the iOS, what's the pros and cons? I just noticed that iOS 6.1.3 seems problematic in this respect.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.