Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any suggestions for a sub £300 flash based camcorder?

Hi Apple Support Community! I have just purchased an iMac 21.5 and I also have an iPad (3rd generation). I want to buy an SDHC family camcorder to use with these devices, but wondered if there was anything I should take into consideration now I'm a mac user? I've picked up that iMovie compatability might be one, but all the threads I found were kind of old. I was looking to spend up to £300 and had considered: Panasonic HC-V210. Canon Legria HF-R406. Sony HDR-CX-280. Thanks for taking the time to read. Happy to be re-directed. A. Newbie - but you can call me Stu...

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 2:36 AM

1 reply

Apr 13, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Stu from Hampshire

Well to sort of answer my own question... We ended up going for a Panasonic HC-V210. It can record in AVCHD, iFrame and MP4. It seems that iPhoto now supports AVCHD and I can take the card straight out of the camera, plug it into my iMAC and iPhoto opens up and I can import the video. Problem is that the footage has horizontal banding / lines through it - although it seems to play ok in QuickTime. If I set the camera to the iFrame setting everything works beautifully. The iMac recognises the video and imports it and it plays perfectly. Using the photo adapter on the iPad and the iPad sees the video and imports it and again it plays perfectly. The downside is that the quality of iFrame is something similar to 720P, when the camera is capable of 1080p. The iFrame quality isn't terrible it just lacks... bite. Hoping for a solution to the AVCHD banding issue, as there seems to be a few people with the same problem.

Any suggestions for a sub £300 flash based camcorder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.