Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad screen will not rotate.

Hi.

My ipad screen will not rotate. I have followed the advice from other posts. It is not locked via the side switch. There is no rotation lock icon showing. Have tried turning off and on. Have tried tried hard reboot. Have updated operating system. Have tried hard reboot again after update. Any other suggestions? Is there anything inside the iPad that could be causing this? It has struggled to rotate recently, but I have previously been able to get it turning again.

I can rotate it manually with the accessibility settings, but this is a bit of a pain as it does not seem to lock in landscape position, which is my preference.

Thanks for any advice.

iPad, iOS 6.1.3, iPad 3

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 4:36 AM

Hi Annetteb1164. There is nothing in the current Accessibility settings that affects this.

Are you sure it's not locked manually? Lock with circle arrow in upper right? You can turn it off in Control Center.

If it's not that, try a restart, power off, not just sleep.

14 replies

Apr 8, 2013 12:28 AM in response to RLG66a

The Basic Troubleshooting Steps are:

Restart... Reset... Restore from Backup... Restore as New...

Restart / Reset

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1430

Backing up, Updating and Restoring

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

If you try all these steps and you still have issues... Then a Visit to an Apple Store or AASP (Authorized Apple Service Provider) is the Next Step...

Be sure to make an appointment first...

Apr 11, 2013 3:20 AM in response to RLG66a

Tried restoring to backup and restoring to factory settings. Still no rotation. Looks like I am off to the apple store.

Curious if this is likely a software glitch, or could it be a problem with the motion sensor? I do have an app to measure horizontal and vertical angles for surveying type uses (theodolite) and the angles are way out on this. For example, should read 0 and 90, but reads angles that are completely off.... Stuff like -80 and 37.

My ipad screen will not rotate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.