Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connect iPhone to Mac via Bluetooth

It's taken me a while, but I would like to link my iPhone 5 to my MacBook Pro using Bluetooth. I've paired the devices (supposedly - selecting the Mac in iPhone's Bluetooth list only offers "forget this device" - no settings shown), but when on the Mac I click Bluetooth Browse Devices it shows the iPhone in the list, but then reports "no device found". And if I click "iPhone > connect to network" it reports an error connecting, and "make sure network access is enabled and available on your device."

So where do I enable network access on the iPhone? It's probably very simple, but I've hunted through Settings and can't find anything.

Thanks!

Ian

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 3:18 AM

You can only pair your phone & Mac, by Bluetooth, for the singular purpose of Tethering, nothing else. File transfer, by Bluetooth, is not supported. So, unless you're trying to Tether, you can quit trying.

5 replies

Oct 27, 2013 8:47 PM in response to wjosten

Well, I consider myself a rather advanced user and I gave up on this problem as soon as I encountered it. My iPhone is becoming more and more bothersome. Apple's instructions asking to refer to the phone manual, as if it was unaccessible to them, are a pain as well.

The thing is that Android, with all the variety of phones it handles, got this straight time ago. As a number of other things in which Apple is lagging behind more and more -among the important ones, conection to a folder structure, not to apps' folders.

I don't care about Apple's marketing strategies. The only thing that made me get an iPhone was to use apps (none of them made by Apple, by the way) in connection to my Mac. Now I am ready to move back to Android as soon as a few of those apps make Android versions. And I may as well even if not. I know both systems and, in my opinion, not only the OS but some terminals have been better than Apple's for a while.

The only thing that hooks me to Apple for the time being is OS X, but to be happy with the price of its hardware I want spotless performance. Not public performances of their top executives nor economic performance of their stocks in the stockmarket, but spotless performance of my tools, in case this is not clear, as it seems not to be!

Oct 27, 2013 9:04 PM in response to gdgmacguy

Dead and unsolved, if I may add. To reply your question, I am posting because I cannot connect my iPhone to my Mac via bluetooth. This is why I chose this thread. And I searched this forum because following the official support instructions didn't solve the problem. And I looked for the instructions because the systems didn't connect easily. And it all started because I would like them to connect, even if connecting iOS and OS X is good for very little, as the only reply to the original question points out. I am sorry to be so specific, as I think this should be obvious. In any case, I thank you for asking.

Dec 10, 2013 11:51 PM in response to joseantmm

im having some what of the same problem. first i went to set up bluetooth device and paired it to my phone. it gave me a password on my phones screen and i agreed to it . now my phone seems to be paired. how ever! when i try to connect my phone via bluetooth it connects then disconnects . then i go to the bluetooth sitting at the top right coner and click the icon. scroll down and click (users name) iphone. conect to network and then it tells me this device does not have the necessary services . what the **** does that mean?

connect iPhone to Mac via Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.