Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible fix for Messages having MMS problems after 6.1.x updates?

So, I updated both my phone and my laptop to the latest OS X and iOS this morning and I ended up losing the ability to send or receive MMS from Messages on the computer. If I tried to send a photo it would just cancel out immediately and say 'zero KB' of the message was sent and it would show up in my window but not the window of people who were participating in the chat. I couldn't receive images I sent from my phone, or images sent to me from others in the chat. The download window in Messages would just show a progress bar of a photo it was trying to download and it would make no progress. What I ended up doing was going into the Library folder in my user directory and deleting everyting in there having to do with iMessages. My cache, my history, my preferences, everything. If done right, when you start the program back up, it should default to it's original state and it should be asking you to log in or setup an account. When you punch in your information, you should get a perfectly blank chat window with no history in it. You know need to setup your account again so that it is in sync with your phone and iPad using the same number to send and receive on all devices. If done right, you should now be able to send and receive messages without issue. Hope this helps!

Make sure you not only get rid of ~/Library/Messages but also:

User uploaded file

Which can be found in ~Library/Preferences

Messages-OTHER, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 12:37 PM

1 reply

Apr 8, 2013 1:24 PM in response to sureMOE

Hi,

NOTES.

com.apple.iChat.LSSharedFileList.plist only hold info about the Messages > File Menu > Recent Items list.

Deleting it serves no purpose in sorting out any account issues with the iMessages account or any other account.

The same can be said for the com.apple.iChat.StatusMessages.plist

It only holds the Saved Status Messages you have created.

Example of content and the Menu Bar drop down.

User uploaded file

There is no need to Touch thre FaceTime one either.

If you have not created and added an AIM, JAbber or Yahoo account in Messages there is no point is deleting the .plists either.

com.apple.iChat.plist itself does list the Accounts (except the iMessages one).

However it stores all the Setting in all the Preferences Panes except the Accounts one.

Deleting it can be "destructive" in some senses and should be left until others have not worked.

com.apple.IMAgent.plist also holds the account info except the iMesages Accounts.

It also holds whether the camera is On and whether Screen Sharing is on.

User uploaded file

com.apple.ichat.Subnet.plist that is not listed in your pic only deals with the Bonjour Account.

That leaves the two with imessage in their name that have anything to do with the iMessages account.

One holds the Server info and the other the Account ID and the various "Aliases" for Receiving and Sending

Having said all that Messages cannot send MMS Messages.

In the iMessages account it can send iMessages and these can contain Files and/or Pics that can be sent to an iPhone.

This:-

If I tried to send a photo it would just cancel out immediately and say 'zero KB' of the message was sent and it would show up in my window but not the window of people who were participating in the chat.

Should be solved by deleting just the iMessages .plist items.

User uploaded file
9:24 PM Monday; April 8, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Possible fix for Messages having MMS problems after 6.1.x updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.