Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9 - Can't Edit photos. Only get black screen

Recently I went to edit some photos I have in iPhoto 9. When I click on a thumbnail to edit, I get nothing but black. When I show file, the jpg is there and it opens fine in preview. I tried the iPhoto Library Manager. Made a new library and then tried importing the photos from the existing library into the new one. It said they were "Unreadable Files" Even though they are all jpgs.

Any ideas? I've rebuilt, etc with CNTRL OPTION.

Is this possibly because of software update to LION? I'm running 10.7.5 and have the latest updates.

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 2:32 PM

9 replies

Apr 8, 2013 2:35 PM in response to germane

Apply the two fixes below in order as needed:

Fix #1

Launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and rebuild the library.

User uploaded file

Since only one option can be run at a time start with Option #3, followed by #4 and then #1 as needed.

Fix #2

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.

2 - click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library folder.

3 - Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the File ➙ Rebuild Library menu option.

4 - In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed.

5 - Click on the Create button.

Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory.

OT

Apr 8, 2013 2:41 PM in response to germane

Do you use time machine?

The recommended course of action at this point, is to:

1. Back up your current (bad) iPhoto Library

2. attempt to fix the library using iPhoto's build in "first aid"

3. try rebuilding the library using "iPhoto Library Manager"

4. Restoring from a back up

I see you stated you already tried "iPhoto Library Manager". Did you also try the iPhoto first aid?

For the images that are giving the error while trying to import them......try this:

1. Open up this image in "preview"

2. file / duplicate

3. a second copy of the image will open over the first - file / save - change the format to .TIFF

Try to import the .TIFF file. Does this import?

Apr 8, 2013 3:05 PM in response to germane

Where is your iPhoto Library located??

The default location is - home user / pictures. Do you have it there, or is it on an external drive?

Also, try creating a new iPhoto Library to see if this also happens in a new library, because it is starting to sound like a permissions issue with the location of your library.

iPhoto 11 - iPhoto '11: Create a new iPhoto library or switch between libraries

Apr 8, 2013 4:20 PM in response to germane

Do you have another mac computer you can test these images on? It will help isolate if it is this computer or not.

"iPhoto cannot import your photos because there was a problem writing to the volume containing your iPhoto library."

The above message may mean we have an issue with the hard drive, or the OS is corrupted. Also, the fact you have the same issue in a new user helps confirm that. Make sure you back up your computer as a precautionary measure.

iPhoto 9 - Can't Edit photos. Only get black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.