Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder columns acting weird.

Hi guys,

I have a question: sometimes, when I open Finder, the columns are separated by a single black vertical line which I can select and resize, etc. However, some other times, column separators show as attached.

I'm wondering what makes Finder change randomly between one column separator layout and the other. The second one - attached - really annoys me.

Thanks for your help!

User uploaded file

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 4:08 PM

15 replies

Apr 25, 2013 2:19 PM in response to YEFAYEFA

Just repeating what Eustace already said, but differently...

Open a Finder Window, click on an item that contains items inside of it (that would be a folder), then click on a folder within a folder. You will notice that you will be able to select and resize up to three levels--as long as there is something listed INSIDE the column you are trying to resize.

Hoping that this helps...

Mar 3, 2015 9:24 AM in response to KK4BCX

This was not an easy setting to figure out. This has been bugging me for well over a year. I'm going to add a couple keywords here because I've searched for this more than once and this is the first time I hit the correct words.

Finder scroll window separator dragable resize thumb random size changing issue.

Scroll bar sometimes stuck open other times minimized but behavior is totally random.

Unplugging MacBook from Thunderbolt monitor or walking away from Magic Mouse sometimes widens Finder pane separators.

Scroll bars stuck open across all applications and will not collapse.

Jul 4, 2015 9:03 AM in response to YEFAYEFA

Yeah, no one seems to know what i'm talking about when I describe this. I wonder if they just don't notice it or if it is truly an anomaly on my system. I have no idea how to set Finder to show a single, adjustable line or a "dual line" (aka column with an equal sign at the bottom) adjustable only by clicking on the "equal sign". I have heard that Finder automatically shows one rather than the other when connected to a magic mouse so maybe that's it.

Finder columns acting weird.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.