Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling(like a baby monitor) and clicking coming from optical drive? Even with volume muted and no disc inserted.

Just as I indicated in the title; the Macbook Pro(Mid-2012 model) has started making random crackling and clicking noises every so often from what sounds like the optical drive(right side of the Macbook Pro), even when I mute the volume etc. Was just wondering if this was normal; and if not, if there was a way to fix this myself.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Mid-2012 Model

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 1:32 AM

1 reply

Apr 9, 2013 1:52 AM in response to Vanilla Nasty

This may be some app that is trying to read a disk that is not there and finding which one is a logical process of quitting them all and opening each in turn. However, it could equally be some foreign object has been inserted into the optical drive or a more serious problem involving hardware failure.

I don't think accessing the drive is an easy task and would suggest taking the computer to a Genius bar to be looked at, ASAP.

Crackling(like a baby monitor) and clicking coming from optical drive? Even with volume muted and no disc inserted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.