Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud.com & me.com addresses seem BLACKLISTED!

Within the last few hours, I have received the following rejection notices (excerpts provided) from two different servers:

Recipient address: XXX@XXX

Reason: Rejection greeting returned by server.

Diagnostic code: smtp;554-m1pismtp01-014.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.

Remote system: dns;smtp.secureserver.net (TCP|17.172.81.2|57082|216.69.186.201|25) (m1pismtp01-014.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net)

Original-envelope-id: 0MKZ00IWZ5344E10@st11p00mm-asmtp003.mac.com

Reporting-MTA: dns;st11p00mm-asmtp003.mac.com (tcp-daemon)

Arrival-date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 06:09:05 +0000 (GMT)

and

Recipient address: XXX@XXX

Diagnostic code: smtp;554-mx1.cbeyond.com Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means. Please reference the following UR

Remote system: dns;mx1.cbeyond.com (TCP|17.172.81.2|35647|50.20.30.21|25) (mx1.cbeyond.com)

Original-envelope-id: 0MKZ00MZ2ASG5R90@st11p00mm-asmtp003.mac.com

Reporting-MTA: dns;st11p00mm-asmtp003.mac.com (tcp-daemon)

Arrival-date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 08:12:16 +0000 (GMT)

I received these rejection notices when I used my icloud.com email address and my me.com email address.

My online research indicates that these rejection notices are due to reputation problems with, or the outright blacklisting of, the server through which I am attempting to send the emails -- i.e. Apple's servers.

Anyone else seeing this?

I sent feedback via the non-responsive online web mechanism, but that hardly seems sufficient for a problem involving Apple's email servers. Anyone have a better idea where I should report this problem or send the full rejection notices?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), iMacs, MacBook, and iPhone 4

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 1:33 AM

25 replies

Apr 29, 2013 4:23 AM in response to Alex Dupuy

I too keep getting this Rejection/reputation response on different emails. I am in Italy and the emails usually work but then all of a sudden they don't. I'm not up on what all this means and waht i need to do though from what you and others wrote, it seems to be APPLES fault. IF so will it work again in time? If so i'll send from Gmail as you suggested.

This is w hat I"m getting :

Diagnostic code: smtp;554-mtalibero01.libero.it Your IP 17.172.81.0 is rejected due to poor reputation. For further information contact your provider.

I am sending from Mac.com on a 10.4.11 OS and our provider is Alice.it

I am wondering if it's not a problem relating to how LIBERO and MAC or apple communicate, maybe Apple has updated some software that now no longer allows such communications to work?

<Email Edited by Host>

Apr 9, 2013 2:02 AM in response to louiexiv

I am seeing the same problem with my mac.com e-mail address - given that it is occurring with all three domains, it is probably an IP range blacklist and not directly related to SPF or other domain data.

Update: http://www.rackaid.com/resources/cannot-send-email-blacklisted/ has a good description of the problem - and it seems like the Cisco IronPort SenderBase Security Network (http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queries/rep_lookup?search_name=17.172.81.1& action%3ASearch=Search) is indeed responsible for our problems - although there is little that we can do about it except wait for Apple to clean up the problem with the iCloud SMTP delivery systems.

Apr 10, 2013 10:05 AM in response to bolderite

The problem seems to have stopped for me (although perhaps I just haven't sent any e-mails to domains using the SenderBase reputations in the past few days) but I had a few work-arounds while I was affected:

1. (least desirable, but easiest): send e-mail from my GMail account, with Reply-To: header set to my mac.com address
  2. (more desirable, slightly trickier): add SMTP server for my ISP (Verizon) and select it as the default SMTP server for my iCloud account - for some ISPs this may only work from home, but Verizon uses an SSL connection on port 465 with username/password login, so I can use this anywhere. See links below for instructions.
  3. (may not work for everyone): as the blacklisted SMTP server(s) are not used for all iCloud accounts, some people reported that re-sending the e-mail from an iPhone worked fine - presumably these use different infrastructure from the MacOS systems

Excellent YouTube video showing how to add SMTP servers and set them as the default for a MacOS mail account: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sqBTVVHjfg&noredirect=1 - be sure to Like this if you find it helpful.

Setting default SMTP server for MacOS Mail: http://email.about.com/od/macosxmailtips/qt/Specify_a_Preferred_SMTP_Server_for_ a_Mac_OS_X_Mail_Account.htm

Setting additional SMTP servers on iOS (although iPhone/iPad/iPod e-mail doesn't seem to have this problem at the moment, could be useful in future): http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4519

Verizon SMTP server information: https://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/internet/highspeed/email/setup+and +use/questionsone/86782.htm

Apr 10, 2013 6:22 PM in response to Karen.S.

Alas, I am still seeing some emails to some addresses bouncing back. Oddly enough, the last one had a main recipient and a cc:, but only the copy was bounced, not the delivery to the main recipient.

I have to believe that Apple takes this problem seriously and tries to fix it. Of course, the more people who leave feedback reporting the problem, the more pressure Apple may feel to solve the problem quickly.

I just unchecked the box that says "use only this server." I would hope that Mail.app would keep trying any and all other servers until the message finally goes out to everyone, but I'm not sure that's how it works.

Apr 11, 2013 3:54 AM in response to louiexiv

louiexiv wrote:

I just unchecked the box that says "use only this server." I would hope that Mail.app would keep trying any and all other servers until the message finally goes out to everyone, but I'm not sure that's how it works.

Unfortunately, not quite. When Mail.app contacts a server, and the server accepts the e-mail message, it is done with it, and if the server that accepted the message then is unable to deliver the e-mail to its final recipient for any reason (like poor reputation) it is too late for Mail.app to do anything like trying to re-send via another server

The only time that unchecking "use only this server" will help is if the iCloud SMTP servers are unreachable due to network connectivity problems or iCloud server downtime (this has been a problem in the past as well). If Mail.app cannot contact the iCloud server then it will notify you and ask if you would like to try another server - but this happens shortly after hitting the Send button.

If you are still seeing bounces, I would suggest keeping your ISP as the default server for another few days.

Also, unless the To and CC recipients are in the same domain, it is not unexpected that "poor reputation" bounces could affect only one or the other. The iCloud servers will contact the SMTP servers for the domain of each recipient (e.g. icloud.com, gmail.com, msn.com) separately, and depending on whether they use the SenderBase reputation, only some of them may reject the message.

@alex

iCloud.com & me.com addresses seem BLACKLISTED!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.