1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 13, 2013 9:58 PM by UptimeJeff
miket2012 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi All,

This might be a silly question and apologise in advanced if this is?

We are running on old Xserve (10.4.8) with approx. 100 Mac clients and would like to know if it's possible to migrate from OD 10.4 to OD 10.8. We tried just to see what would happen if we archived the old OD and re-imported in to 10.8, but as we guessed this didn’t work. I’ve looked through this forum and seems most are doing this from 10.5, so wondering if we need to upgrade to 10.5 and then up to 10.8?

Any pointers would be great.

Many thanks.

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • UptimeJeff Level 4 Level 4 (3,420 points)

If you don't mind clearing ser passwords, then I would export users from 10.4 and import into 10.8

There are some issues with service ACLs in doing this, but its still the fastest process.

If users are allowed to set their own PW, the you give provide preset pw's (either unique or common) and a URL to allow users to reset their PW.

If you need to retain passwords, what I would do is clone the 10.4 server, then upgrade it all the way to 10.8 then archive OD from that and import into a clean-install of 10.8 server.

Whataver you do, don't rely on a 10.4 to 10.8 migration, you'll want a clean 10.8 install.

The offline 10.4 -> 10.8 would allow you to retain PWs, but it creates alot of extra work for you.