Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages v4.0 (727) can't open or save .doc files

Hello everyone,

for a while now I haven't been able to open or save .doc files with Pages. When trying to open a .doc file I get the following message:

"The document "example.doc” couldn’t be opened."

I have tried the following to solve the problem:

1. run Software Update, which told me there were no updates available

2. checked my applications folder to see if Pages was in the iWork '09 folder in order for SU to be able to detect updates (it was)

3. reinstalled Pages from the iWork disc and run SU (which again couldn't detect any updates)

4. deleted the com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist file from the Preferences folder in the user library on the Macintosh HD

I'd be very grateful if someone could point me towards a solution, I've spent an age on google looking for one and haven't found anything useful so far.

Thanks in advance

XtremeFlux

MacBook (Aluminium), Mac OS X (10.6.1), 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB DDR3 RAM

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 6:11 AM

Are you still on MacOs 10.6.1? You should update it to 10.6.8. Use the Combo update here if the Software Update check doesn't work (which it should) http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

And here you can find the iWork 09 updates. Software Updates should find them!

iWork 9.0.4

iLife Support 9.0.4

You need both.

4 replies

Pages v4.0 (727) can't open or save .doc files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.