Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4gb data transfer in 5 hours without activity, 4gb data transfer in 5 hours without activity

Hello

I am new to the server.

I have install the server behind a smarthub supply by my telephone company.

I have a static internet address.

During the night, the server did something that consume 4gb of data usage on my account.

Is there a log file for me to consult in order to know what happen last night.

I stop all the services in the server.

I have play with the DNS and that is maybe the problem.

In the DNS setup I gave the router static ip for the forwarding servers.

does this create something like a Ping-Pong game between the internet and the intranet

I have one machine that act as the server and the client. I was in the process to learn how to serve Web pages from my server to the internet.

I'll parreciate any clues from you in order not to have this again.

Thanks

Robert

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 9:53 AM

DNS services have to be correct or OS X Server tends to get wonky and weird. That doesn't usually involve large transfers, assuming your server isn't serving DNS publicly.

The only reason to use forwarding servers is to delay the DNS translations, unless you really think you'll be lucky enough to have translations right out of the ISP DNS cache and also not right out of your own local DNS cache.

As for usage, Software Update Server (SUS) will consume four gigabytes pretty easily, as can various application-level updates, as can a local update that went directly to Apple without using the local SUS update cache. Xcode and some apps and an OS X update and pretty soon you're looking at real bandwidth usage...

Remote network activities on open servers can also require network bandwidth, such as remote accesses to web servers, or to any exposed files or resources, or folks uploading or downloading files.

There's unfortunately no what-just-used-the-network-bandwidth log within OS X Server.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2013 9:53 AM in response to Patro

DNS services have to be correct or OS X Server tends to get wonky and weird. That doesn't usually involve large transfers, assuming your server isn't serving DNS publicly.

The only reason to use forwarding servers is to delay the DNS translations, unless you really think you'll be lucky enough to have translations right out of the ISP DNS cache and also not right out of your own local DNS cache.

As for usage, Software Update Server (SUS) will consume four gigabytes pretty easily, as can various application-level updates, as can a local update that went directly to Apple without using the local SUS update cache. Xcode and some apps and an OS X update and pretty soon you're looking at real bandwidth usage...

Remote network activities on open servers can also require network bandwidth, such as remote accesses to web servers, or to any exposed files or resources, or folks uploading or downloading files.

There's unfortunately no what-just-used-the-network-bandwidth log within OS X Server.

4gb data transfer in 5 hours without activity, 4gb data transfer in 5 hours without activity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.