Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble searching for files in Pages

For some reason, when I go to open a file in Pages '09, some of them will not show up if I type in the file name in the search in the upper right hand corner of the window. I know for 100% certainty I have the file name correct - to make sure it is a search problem and not my memory having issues I would search for a file and while looking at the file name, type it in... and I would get 0 search results. I clicked for it to search by file name. The files it does not seem to be able to recognize are file names with Japanese as part of the file name that were saved using my Mac (MacBook Pro - OS X 10.6.8). Files with Japanese in the file name saved on windows computers and transfered via my flashdrive have no issues being found. I can open the files, so that is not the problem. And, if I scroll through all the files I can find it. The problem is that sometimes I don't remember the full file name - especially which word I put first - so having to scroll through all my files to find the one I want is rather annoying. I would prefer to be able to search for any of my Pages files. Is there anyway to fix this? Or is the Pages search just not made to be compatible with any language other than English? (I am not sure if it is relavant, but if I search for the files via Spotlight, I can find them using the English or Japanese portion of the file name. Even though Finder does not allow me to use the Japanese portion of the file name in a search, the files do show up if I use the English portion of the file name.)

Any help of why this problem exists and if there is any way to fix would be very much appreciated.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Pages '09

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 8:19 AM

2 replies

Apr 9, 2013 8:24 PM in response to KyrstalJade

Hi KJ,

in the search in the upper right hand corner of the window.

The Pages window? I can't see a search box.

Do you mean Spotlight? (The magnifying glass icon?)

System Preferences > Personal > Spotlight > Search Results.

Make sure there is a tick next to Documents.

Spotlight will find file names (partial or complete match) or a word or phrase within files.

Regards,

Ian

trouble searching for files in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.