Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21.5 (mid 2011) Black Screen + 3beeps! HELP!

Im about to buy a very cheap (no function) core i5 2.5 iMac 21.5 (mid 2011). but the seller tell me that he start the computer and the screen remains black and three beeps sounds. My question is the next one: ALWAYS , when I heard the three beeps is the RAM, or coult it be anything else like Logic board. I found this:

Tone(s)Description
1 tone, a 5-second pause, repeatNo RAM installed
3 successive tones, a 5-second pause, 3 successive tonesRAM does not pass data integrity check
1 long tone when holding down the power buttonFirmware upgrade in process. See About firmware updates for Intel-based Macsfor more details.
3 long tones, 3 short tones, 3 long tonesFirmware restoration from CD in process. See About the Firmware Restoration CD (Intel-based Macs) for more details.

But I don't know if it is always like this. Im not sure to buy the iMac, I mean, if it is the RAM its OK, I will have a very cheap iMac with me! But if it is the logic board....well, that's not so cheap!

Thanks all!

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 6:49 AM

1 reply

Apr 9, 2013 7:58 AM in response to iJavier

Could just be a bad or unseated module.

Try reseating the RAM modules, as per > iMac: How to remove or install memory

Besure to firmly push on each module with both thumbs, to insure that they are fully seated in the slots.

Then if it still does not startup, test for a bad module by installing the modules one at a time in one of the top slots. (the top slots with the iMac is facing display down, as per the installation instructions)

iMac 21.5 (mid 2011) Black Screen + 3beeps! HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.