Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music doesn't have to be in the iTunes Music folder???

I thought I knew how iTunes 11 managed music files but now I'm not so sure. I received a flash drive the other day and it has over 5,000 music files in mp3 format. All of the music is categorized in relevant folders and subfolders (e.g. Oldies/Oldies Folk, Oldies/Oldies One Hit Wonders, etc) and are located in the same directory level as the "iTunes" folder. In the "iTunes" folder I find what I expect;

> Album Artwork

> Automatically Add to iTunes (empty)

> iTunes Library (size 2 mb)

> iTunes Library Extras.itdb (size 16 kb)

> iTunes Library.xml (size 7.8 mb)

> iTunes Music (this folder is empty except for "Automatically Add to iTunes", which is also empty)

> iTunes Music Library.xml (size 7.8 mb)

> Previous iTunes Libraries (several previous Library files)

I thought iTunes required all music files to be located in the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder but in this instance they are not. All music files are located in folders and subfolders in the same directory level as "iTunes".

When I open iTunes with the Option key pressed and get "Choose Library..." I select the "iTunes" folder on the flash drive and iTunes is happy and all the songs in the folders appear in the Library ready to be played. There are also Playlists that are named similar to the folders that are in the "iTunes" folder directory level, but I think these playlists were created manually since there are some differences.

I'm trying to learn something here. How does this happen? I've always thought the music had to be in the "iTunes Music" folder, but this is obviously not the case.

I've always dragged and dropped music into iTunes and they are copied into the iTunes Music folder. If I were to set up a new library of songs to use in iTunes how would I duplicate what is done on the flash drive?

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 8:58 AM

No, music does not have to be in the iTunes Music folder or necessarily in any other particular folder. You can have the track files located anywhere on the system you wish. iTunes will by default copy tracks you import or rip from CDs wherever the location is set in the Advanced preference. Perhaps the option is set to the root of the iTunes folder in your case. And if you turn off the option to "copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" in the the iTunes -> Advanced preferences, you can have your tracks anywhere on the system in whatever organization you like; iTunes will leave them where they are and quite happily link to them.

Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2013 8:58 AM in response to plcmms

No, music does not have to be in the iTunes Music folder or necessarily in any other particular folder. You can have the track files located anywhere on the system you wish. iTunes will by default copy tracks you import or rip from CDs wherever the location is set in the Advanced preference. Perhaps the option is set to the root of the iTunes folder in your case. And if you turn off the option to "copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" in the the iTunes -> Advanced preferences, you can have your tracks anywhere on the system in whatever organization you like; iTunes will leave them where they are and quite happily link to them.

Regards.

Music doesn't have to be in the iTunes Music folder???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.