Skip navigation

how do I keep Microsoft Word (on my desktop) and Pages in synch?

367 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 6:27 PM by PeterBreis0807 RSS
grubbie02 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 9, 2013 12:44 PM

I am currently a student and I have many different papers going on at a time.  I am also a father of two boys, so I would like to  be able to work on these papers whenever inspiration strikes.  If I have an idea can I put it in my paper on my iPad or iPhone 4 with Pages (or some other app) and then when I have the time go to my computer and work on my paper with out having to email it to myself or downloading it from iCloud, then uploading it back to iCloud when I am done?

I feel like I should be able to do this is 2013 even though Microsoft and Apple do not play well with each other. 

Thank you for your time.

A very behind college student.

Windows 7
  • Jerrold Green1 Level 7 Level 7 (28,215 points)

Grubbie,

You can do this in 2013, but your computer needs to be a Mac.

Jerry

• Yellowbox Level 4 Level 4 (3,920 points)

Grubbie,

If I have an idea can I put it in my paper on my iPad or iPhone 4 with Pages (or some other app)

A plain text editor will create a document that any word processor on any platform (IBM or Mac) can open. How about a USB memory stick to transfer between machines? I know that works because I do it. Not sure if the stick needs a particular format.

Regards,

Ian.

• PeterBreis0807 Level 7 Level 7 (27,390 points)

Yellowbox

Yes it does, leave the USB stick formatted to the FAT 32 it came with then both the Mac and PC can read it.

Not a solution for the iPad though.

grubbie02

Try DropBox. Install it on your iPad and your PC to then make your files accessible to both. Not a perfect solution though as you will be transferring and converting between Pages on the iPad and Word on Windows, which is an extra step and not perfect. At some point the conversion is not going to work perfectly and you will have problems.

Pages is not a substitute for Word and vice versa. As Yellowbox suggests, use a simpler Word Processing app. or Text Editor that will maintain basic formatting, and saves and opens in either .rtf, .txt or doc.

Peter

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.