Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat cannot communicate with iMessages using Bonjour.

We are trying to setup an iChat system in our office, but having trouble with compatibility between iChat and iMessages, specifically when using Bonjour. A Bonjour List can open and shows buddies, but when we try to chat between computers running 10.8 and above and those running 10.75 and below, it won't work. Please advise.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), iChat

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 1:59 PM

6 replies

Apr 10, 2013 1:34 PM in response to JMBrady

Hi,

I have a G4 tower running Leopard (iChat 5) and a Macbook Pro running Snow Leopard in addition to the iMac I am posting from running Messages 7.0.1 in Mountain Lion.

I have not see any issues.

Video chat can be a little different.

In this case Tiger (OS X 10.4 and iChat 3) does not seem to be able to accept Video Invites (they don't show up).

However sending an Invite to the iMac and Messages works.

It may pay to look in to whether DNS is working

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3789

mDNS is Bonjour.

If this is turned Off then DNS also does not work.

(it used to be you could start and stop Bonjour separately before OS X 10.6)

User uploaded file
9:34 PM Wednesday; April 10, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Apr 11, 2013 7:30 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Ralph,

Thanks for your response. Our DNS is working fine, so this wasn't the issue.

Are you communicating via Bonjour between your G4 tower, iMac, and/or Macbook Pro, or are you using something else (Apple ID, Jabber, AIM, Gmail, Yahoo...)? Our issue is specifically related to Bonjour. We were able to get it to work fine with Gmail accounts, but our office needs to use Bonjour, so this won't solve our issue.

Thanks for your help!
~J

Apr 11, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

I should add that we were able to be successful using iChat to iChat between my computer and one of my coworker's computers, but he is the only person in my buddy list that I was able to communicate with. The other people (whom I cannot IM with) are running Mountain Lion and I'm running Lion, so they are using iMessages and I am using iChat.

Apr 11, 2013 12:41 PM in response to JMBrady

Hi,

This was using Bonjour.

I have used AIM and Jabber accounts across them as well in separate tests.

I am the Admin on all three computers.

when I set them up I used "Ralph Johns" as the User name.

As a consequence all three were names as "Ralph Johnss Computer" when looking in System Preferences > Sharing. (yes certain OS versions do silly things with names that end in s)

Sine ce then I have made sure they have different names so that they appear in the Shares in the finder.

The G4 tower is in fact "Ralph G4", the iMac is "Ralph's iMac" and the MacBook Pro is "Ralph's MacBook Pro" which also distinguishes it from my son's MacBook Pro ("xxxxxxxx's MacBook Pro").

That is to say that each computer has it's Own Name to use with Bonjour as well as it User logged in to the Mac having his or her own My Card in the Address book or Contacts app.

As I said (well I hinted really) I have also tested in Tiger (the G4 used to have multiple boots up until recently.)

Although Text Chatting is fine Video and Audio chats are more difficult.

In the testing I did do before the drive failed I always had to Video Chat Calling from the Tiger end (G4)

I have seen people report issues when using an Address Book held on a Server where the My Card is then generic.

I do not know enough about Server sets up s to help resolve that.

Try posting in the Server Communities.

User uploaded file
8:41 PM Thursday; April 11, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.3)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

iChat cannot communicate with iMessages using Bonjour.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.