Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete a process that's running in the background?

A process called "tunmgr" is using up 99% of my cpu causing my macbook air to overheat (and the fan(?) to be really loud). I've searched about the process/file and a few websites basically just says that it is a Blackberry app(?) and that it hasn't been confirmed (yet) to be harmful.

I've already deleted the blackberry desktop manager on my computer as I've recently switched to iPhone. Is it safe for me to delete "tunmgr" and how do I do that?

Every time I notice my computer overheating, I had to keep going to Activity Monitor to force quit the process/file.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 3:30 PM

14 replies

Oct 29, 2017 9:07 AM in response to jaywheredsunsets

I have this problem too, where the Blackberry-Link-Helper-Agent is using 57% of my CPU. I deleted the Blackberry software ages back, and don't have anything else RIM-related on my iMac. I don't have the "tunmgr" process, fortunately.

I've tried finding it via Terminal, but that utility is responding "No such file or directory". Do I need to download and install the Blackberry app again, then uninstall to get rid of this thing?? Anyone else still having this issue?

May 16, 2013 10:48 AM in response to kakkargautam0108

Sorry I didn't get the chance to update this.. I had to delete through the terminal.. the path is library/application support/Blackberry(?).. i just deleted the whole folder/directory.. then I restared my computer and haven't had problems since..

I'm sure it's the same path for everyone, but if not, go to activity monitor, click tunmgr then on the top left, click "sample process".. you'll find the path.. then go to terminal and just follow the path then you can delete the folder/directory..

hope this helps

Jun 3, 2013 2:57 AM in response to jaywheredsunsets

Solution as stated above.

when deleting apps good idea to trace down all related files that were installed.

A simple App removal tool can help like Appzapper or anyone of those.

Likewise good habit of removing any associated Application support files that are related to the app you are removing.

Don't need Terminal for 3rd party/user installed Apps most eof the time.

Jul 15, 2013 8:40 AM in response to NathanC77

Hi, I tried the above solution but the below two processes still keep coming up, also unable to delete Blackberry Link from Applicataion Support folder. Each time I delete the file, it comes right back!

BBLaunchAgen.app and Blackberry-Link-Helper-Agent

Any further support will be appreciated as these are really taking up a lot of CPU...thanks.

(Just to add; tunmgr is succefully deleted)

Aug 7, 2013 6:37 PM in response to jaywheredsunsets

I had the same problem and researched it. The tunmgr is essentially a bug that spawns a looped process due to checking the "Open Blackberry Link when a device is connected" in Blackberry Link. To stop the process, open Blackberry Link -->> Preferences (not in the main menu, the gear in the top right corner) -->> uncheck "Open Blackberry Link when a device is connected". Then restart and it should be back to normal.

ps - thanks for fixing this Blackberry!User uploaded file

How do I delete a process that's running in the background?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.