Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone: No such file or directory

I am trying to bypass the admin setup on my powerbook g4 (2005) because it keeps freezing at the choose keyboard screen.

I looked up the tutorial using

mount -uw /

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

The prompt says that there is no such file or directory, I used the ls -al /var/db, and I dont see it in the list that poped up.

Can anyone help me with this problem---or even the freeze on the choose keyboard?

PowerBook

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 7:04 PM

OK thanks, it appears that at least one essential component is corrupt or was removed from the operating system.

Using your original System Install DVD, reinstall OS X. If a later version of OS X is already installed, you will need to erase your entire system first.

Nothing short of that is likely to resolve it. If you have user account data on the disk and no backup, use another Mac and FireWire Target Disk Mode to archive the existing, corrupt installation so that you can migrate its user data after you reinstall (and subsequently upgrade, if required) OS X.

One last thing to try before resorting to that drastic measure is to restore the .AppleSetupDone file. That ought to skip Setup Assistant, and with any luck at all may restore the normal Login screen. To do that:

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Type carefully.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2013 7:04 PM in response to Heathen819

OK thanks, it appears that at least one essential component is corrupt or was removed from the operating system.

Using your original System Install DVD, reinstall OS X. If a later version of OS X is already installed, you will need to erase your entire system first.

Nothing short of that is likely to resolve it. If you have user account data on the disk and no backup, use another Mac and FireWire Target Disk Mode to archive the existing, corrupt installation so that you can migrate its user data after you reinstall (and subsequently upgrade, if required) OS X.

One last thing to try before resorting to that drastic measure is to restore the .AppleSetupDone file. That ought to skip Setup Assistant, and with any luck at all may restore the normal Login screen. To do that:

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Type carefully.

Dec 6, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Davidsybert1987

The model Apple portable you have appears to be one build in 2005 and for details

in how to start up from the single-user mode or other details, you'd have to state

what you have, and what you did. Also why you were trying to perform this action..

And if you still have the system software restore install DVD media it shipped with.

Or the last supported OS X version on DVD for the PowerPC processor series...

that would be the Leopard OS X 10.5 retail DVD; to use it as startup disc to test

the hard drive, and perhaps reset or restore a system.

Details about your computer, when it was made, etc are in a Lookup by Serial Number

https://www.powerbookmedic.com/identify-mac-serial.php

The number you posted appears to be this model...

User uploaded file

...perhaps a Host will move your posts to a new discussions area separate from earlier content.

Were you trying to start in single user mode, or just get the computer to take a new admin user password?

If you had the correct install-restore media (original grey label DVD that came with PBk, or retail 10.5)

the proper method would be to start the computer with the DVD in the optical drive, and hold the C key

until it loads, then select from the menu items in the Installer, until you see Reset Password; in OS X 10.5

retail media, not gray label from a specific computer, you'd never need to use terminal or single-user.

There may have been an error in your attempt if you made a mistake in the typing; so if you had a

correct line to enter in single-user mode, or copy-pasted the right one, the command may be OK.

http://www.gizmobeast.com/how-tos/macbook-password-resetting-without-cd.html

or this

http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/index_files/reset-lost-os-x-account-password.php

Good luck...! 😐

Apr 9, 2013 6:12 PM in response to Heathen819

Then the file isn't there.

.AppleSetupDoneis a placeholder that indicates the Mac has been set up with a User account. Its absence indicates OS X should initiate the "new Mac user" setup procedure. If it is not present the Mac is going to proceed with the latter, which will not bypass anything or solve your problem.

... it keeps freezing at the choose keyboard screen.

That needs further explanation. When do you encounter it?

Jul 12, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Heathen819

NOTE

In my experience with this, when I booted into recovery mode typing:

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Said the file didn't exist. When I rebooted, the setup screen didn't show. I logged in as the non-admin user, then looked in /var/db and the file DID exist.

Further investigation showed that in recovery mode, / references the OSX Recovery Partition, and not Macintosh HD partition. So if you boot into recovery mode and .AppleSetupDone doesn't exist in /var/db/, and the setup screen still won't show, do the following in recovery mode:

cd /Volumes

ls -l (This will show all volumes)

cd Macintosh\ HD

cd var/db

ls -la (You should now see a .AppleSetupDone file)

rm .AppleSetupDone

After this, reboot and you should see the setup screen.

rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone: No such file or directory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.